PDA

View Full Version : Cat ID Assistance please

cho-cho-san
18-Mar-2008, 02:03 AM
Shot this in my garden today. The cat was found crawling on a wall. I released it onto a nearby plant and hoped it could return to its food plant.

I'm not very good with ID-ing caterpillars, so just wondering if any of the experts could help out.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/tora-tora/B%20Circle/600_P1020788.jpg

cho-cho-san
18-Mar-2008, 10:44 AM
I have managed to find the food plant this morning.
It is the "Desert-Rose" (Adenium Obesum). The cat has a voracious appetite as it "walloped" all the leaves and shoots of the plant. The Adenium Obesum is now in a baldy state.

cho-cho-san
18-Mar-2008, 11:43 PM
Spent this afternoon Googling and realised that this is a cat of the Oleander Hawkmoth (Deilephila nerii or Daphnis nerii).

Grateful if Mod could shift this thread to "Moth Photography" ?
Thank you, (embarassed)

benetay
19-Mar-2008, 12:04 AM
Thats a very nice looking cat, glad that you have got the ID!

Cheers!

cho-cho-san
19-Mar-2008, 12:21 AM
Thank you benetay.

Glad to learn something new today.

Cheers !

atronox
19-Mar-2008, 01:23 AM
Spent this afternoon Googling and realised that this is a cat of the Oleander Hawkmoth (Deilephila nerii or Daphnis nerii).

Grateful if Mod could shift this thread to "Moth Photography" ?
Thank you, (embarassed)

Yup, its Daphnis nerii. Deilephila is the elephant hawkmoth (deilephila elpenor).

Painted Jezebel
19-Mar-2008, 09:11 AM
I had thought that the cat was Daphnis nerii, but the absence of the blue eye-spots just behind the head made me wonder.

As this is a moth, perhaps this thread could be transferred to that forum, and then Roger may be able to advise the frequency of these 'blind' cats as compared the the blue-spotted ones.

cho-cho-san
19-Mar-2008, 06:48 PM
I had thought that the cat was Daphnis nerii, but the absence of the blue eye-spots just behind the head made me wonder.

As this is a moth, perhaps this thread could be transferred to that forum, and then Roger may be able to advise the frequency of these 'blind' cats as compared the the blue-spotted ones.

Sorry about the missing blue eye-spots. Actually it got hidden in between the folds just behind the head.
Here is another shot of the same cat, but this time with the blue eye-spots.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/tora-tora/B%20Circle/P1020782_600.jpg

Painted Jezebel
19-Mar-2008, 07:42 PM
Ah! Thank you. So it is not 'blind'. Roger, kindly disregard my last query!:)

Commander
19-Mar-2008, 08:40 PM
Thread moved to Moth Photography sub-forum.

These cats eat Oleander, Vinca (Periwinkle) and a number of other "toxic" plants. I believe Adenium is also a "toxic" plant too.

However, the cats and adult moths don't seem to be immune to predators because of this, unlike those of butterflies. :thinking:

cho-cho-san
19-Mar-2008, 10:03 PM
Yup, its Daphnis nerii. Deilephila is the elephant hawkmoth (deilephila elpenor).

Thanks Aaron for your info

cho-cho-san
19-Mar-2008, 11:39 PM
Thread moved to Moth Photography sub-forum.

These cats eat Oleander, Vinca (Periwinkle) and a number of other "toxic" plants. I believe Adenium is also a "toxic" plant too.

However, the cats and adult moths don't seem to be immune to predators because of this, unlike those of butterflies. :thinking:

Thanks Commander for doing the needful.

Oh yes, the sap of the Adenium obesum is toxic. Got to handle them with caution especially when you are doing pruning.

hkmoths
22-Mar-2008, 10:32 AM

Indeed the Elephant Hawkmoth is placed in Deilephila, as was nerii until quite recently.

One must remember that as yet higher taxonomy, i.e. understanding lineage, has been a rather haphazard process, and in reality still is, even with the advent of molecular techniques. Most analyses undertaken do not involve the complete range of species within a particular group, whether it be the genus, subtribe, tribe or even higher ranks, simply due to the numbers of species involved and their distributions being such that it becomes almost impossible to obtain sufficient material to undertake a complete analysis. The end result is that stability in Lepidopteran taxonomy has yet to be achieved, even for relatively well known groups like the Sphingidae.

cheers, Roger.

cho-cho-san
22-Mar-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the info Roger.

atronox
23-Mar-2008, 12:35 AM
Indeed the Elephant Hawkmoth is placed in Deilephila, as was nerii until quite recently.

One must remember that as yet higher taxonomy, i.e. understanding lineage, has been a rather haphazard process, and in reality still is, even with the advent of molecular techniques. Most analyses undertaken do not involve the complete range of species within a particular group, whether it be the genus, subtribe, tribe or even higher ranks, simply due to the numbers of species involved and their distributions being such that it becomes almost impossible to obtain sufficient material to undertake a complete analysis. The end result is that stability in Lepidopteran taxonomy has yet to be achieved, even for relatively well known groups like the Sphingidae.

cheers, Roger. Thx Roger. Even groups like macrolepidoptera and microlepidoptera are poorly defined.

hkmoths
23-Mar-2008, 11:13 AM
Thx Roger. Even groups like macrolepidoptera and microlepidoptera are poorly defined.

Technically, these two terms have no taxonomic standing whatsoever. It is a convenient grouping that separates the more primitive families from the more recently evolved families, the dividing line generally falling at the Pyraloidea (considered microleps, though given "honorary" macrolep status as in many cases they are larger than a good number of "macros", such as the smaller lithosiines, eublemmines, most eustrotiines, Micronoctuidae and most eupitheciines). The Hepialoidea, Zygaenoidea and Cossoidea are also primitive taxa that would fall under the microlep group, though most moth-ers regard them as honorary macros as well. There are so many exceptions, that in reality I think it is confusing to keep using the macro / micro split.

cheers, Roger.

atronox
24-Mar-2008, 01:58 AM
Technically, these two terms have no taxonomic standing whatsoever. It is a convenient grouping that separates the more primitive families from the more recently evolved families, the dividing line generally falling at the Pyraloidea (considered microleps, though given "honorary" macrolep status as in many cases they are larger than a good number of "macros", such as the smaller lithosiines, eublemmines, most eustrotiines, Micronoctuidae and most eupitheciines). The Hepialoidea, Zygaenoidea and Cossoidea are also primitive taxa that would fall under the microlep group, though most moth-ers regard them as honorary macros as well. There are so many exceptions, that in reality I think it is confusing to keep using the macro / micro split.

cheers, Roger.Come to think of it, it seems that they are not split according to size as the terms suggest bt rather whether they are monorysian or ditrysian.

hkmoths
24-Mar-2008, 04:28 PM
Come to think of it, it seems that they are not split according to size as the terms suggest bt rather whether they are monorysian or ditrysian.

This isn't the split used either - as I said the terms macrolepidoptera and microlepidoptera don't hold any water. They are terms of convenience.
Monotrysia and Ditrysia are formal taxonomic names that also don't hold water, as Monotrysia is a polyphyletic group (see Scoble, 1992: pp190-191), and consequently has fallen into a state of relative disuse.
The "Monotrysia" comprise the superfamilies up to Tischerioidea.

cheers, Roger.

Scoble, M.J., 1992. The Lepidoptera: Form, Function & Diversity. Oxford University Press. xi + 404 pp.

atronox
24-Mar-2008, 05:37 PM
This isn't the split used either - as I said the terms macrolepidoptera and microlepidoptera don't hold any water. They are terms of convenience.
Monotrysia and Ditrysia are formal taxonomic names that also don't hold water, as Monotrysia is a polyphyletic group (see Scoble, 1992: pp190-191), and consequently has fallen into a state of relative disuse.
The "Monotrysia" comprise the superfamilies up to Tischerioidea.

cheers, Roger.

Scoble, M.J., 1992. The Lepidoptera: Form, Function & Diversity. Oxford University Press. xi + 404 pp.

Checking wiki...
Thx Roger.

Painted Jezebel
24-Mar-2008, 07:30 PM
Please take great care before relying too much on Wikipedia. Anyone can post entries, and they are not checked or verified or updated. There are many out of date, or incorrect entries there.

atronox
26-Mar-2008, 12:53 PM
Please take great care before relying too much on Wikipedia. Anyone can post entries, and they are not checked or verified or updated. There are many out of date, or incorrect entries there.Thx Les, i'll use it less often.