PDA

View Full Version : Comparison between two 'Archdukes'

Common Rose
30-Aug-2004, 12:09 AM
A comparison of the undersides of the two Archdukes.

1. Female Lexias pardalis dirteana (Archduke). More bluish underside.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/macrossx/5001-5500/5121.jpg

2. Lexias canescens pardalina (Yellow Archduke). More yellow underside.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/macrossx/4501-5000/4893.jpg

Elbowed Pierrot
30-Aug-2004, 12:39 AM
here is my contribution

yellow archduke
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/simonsng/Sime%2027062004/Lexias_canescens_pardalina_8277.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/simonsng/Sime%2027062004/Lexias_canescens_pardalina_8276.jpg

Cruiser
30-Aug-2004, 12:39 AM
Hi Neo thanks for teh comparison but where did you get the com name "Yellow Archduke" :thinking:

Common Rose
30-Aug-2004, 09:49 AM
Nice specimen, Simon, but the label in your pic is wrong :nono:. Don't confuse pple more. :bsmileo:

BJ, we decide to nickname it Yellow Archduke first. ;-)

Elbowed Pierrot
30-Aug-2004, 11:22 AM
oops, thats a old pic.. will update it

Sky Blue
30-Aug-2004, 12:16 PM
Nice specimen, Simon, but the label in your pic is wrong :nono:. Don't confuse pple more. :bsmileo:

BJ, we decide to nickname it Yellow Archduke first. ;-)

cannot anyhow name it lah, r we confirmed this really a sub-species / new species (from scientific stand point) or just some sample variation :hmmm:

Common Rose
30-Aug-2004, 12:33 PM
cannot anyhow name it lah, r we confirmed this really a sub-species / new species (from scientific stand point) or just some sample variation :hmmm:
It's a nickname, not a common name. The id characteristic of the "Yellow Archduke" is the yellowish underside (hence the nickname), as compare to the bluish underside of the Archduke.

See C&P4 pg 190 for the key separation of the two species.

Sky Blue
30-Aug-2004, 02:03 PM
:thinking: anyway, to me nick name no different from common name, i think common name also do not required scientific prove :stupid:

Commander
30-Aug-2004, 02:15 PM
:thinking: anyway, to me nick name no different from common name, i think common name also do not required scientific prove :stupid:

It's ok to have some 'nicks' that make a butt easier to call. However, it depends on the audience and who we are discussing with. For the scientific community, the Latin names are a must, as the common names are usually seen as "amateurish" and unreliable.

But for the common layman, the common names/nicks are preferred. I remember the times when BIG used to conduct public walks. Whenever we did not have a common name, we called out the scientific names, and we would get strange looks from the walk participants. :stupid:

So, in an informal way, we can use (or "invent") new common names but of course there must be some valid reference to the physical characteristics of the butt that we coin the name for.

Commander
30-Aug-2004, 02:34 PM
I was reading some materials from HK ... I find their Chinese name for butterflies very wierd. Cant understand why they are using those common names or chinese translation. Maybe time to improve on Chinese. :thinking:

Heh... then wait till you read the Taiwanese version of the Chinese common names. Even more confusing. I believe there was some discussion earlier between Ben Jin and Gan on the Chinese names. The HK names were preferred over the Taiwanese names as we follow the One-China policy. :bsmile:

Common Rose
30-Aug-2004, 02:36 PM
Heh... then wait till you read the Taiwanese version of the Chinese common names. Even more confusing. I believe there was some discussion earlier between Ben Jin and Gan on the Chinese names. The HK names were preferred over the Taiwanese names as we follow the One-China policy. :bsmile:
In that case, you shld refer to the mainland version, which might be diff also. :bsmile:

Elbowed Pierrot
30-Aug-2004, 02:54 PM
I was reading some materials on butterflies from HK ... I find their Chinese name for butterflies very wierd. Cant understand why they are using those common names or chinese translation. Maybe time to improve on Chinese. :thinking:

errrr... same goes to anything else.. Fishes also face the same problem

Commander
30-Aug-2004, 03:28 PM
hehe. maybe can consider a xmas vacation in HK -- cool weather.. and possibly a visit to their butterfly in New Terrority. it seemes to be quite big in size (than the Melacca's). but not sure if what will be available in xmas period.

Most butt parks/farms are closed in winter. If they have over-wintering species, then the pupae will be cultivated indoors until spring when the warmer weather will trigger off their hatching. We don't have such species here in our equatorial climate.

If you read about the Monarch butts and their amazing life history and their migration, it's very interesting to know that they have two different life cycles to cater for the weather that they face. The temperate countries butts also have this hibernation period where their pupae survive the winter months before hatching in spring.

I was in Montreal, Canada in late Oct some years ago. I visited the Insectarium, but the flight cage was already closed then, and the remaining Monarch butts had already died. :-( However, I was lucky enough to encounter a straggler Monarch in the middle of the city area. It was puddling on some spilt ice-cream on the road! ;P