PDA

View Full Version : Moth caterpillar and adult ID needed

vespa_bicolor
14-Jan-2008, 12:55 PM
A moth caterpillar reared to adulthood in Singapore last February. Hostplant was Cinnamomum iners. ID would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

hkmoths
14-Jan-2008, 04:35 PM
Arctornis sp.
Lymantriidae

The BMNH's HOSTS database lists Arctornis perfecta (no black spot) and A. submarginata (with brownish tinges) from Cinnamomum, and as the adult needs dis-secting to identify it, there is no way of knowing which species in the genus this is. See Moths of Borneo (vol. 5) for the somewhat mind boggling diversity of this genus.
What I find somewhat curious is how this larva is a very good mimic of several Trabala species (Lasiocampidae).

cheers,

Roger

vespa_bicolor
14-Jan-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the ID! Indeed I was fooled at first as I assumed I was rearing Trabala vishnou, but was surprised when they pupated at such a small size. I am wondering thus if Trabala species are found in Southeast Asia as well.

Cheers,
John

hkmoths
15-Jan-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the ID! Indeed I was fooled at first as I assumed I was rearing Trabala vishnou, but was surprised when they pupated at such a small size. I am wondering thus if Trabala species are found in Southeast Asia as well.

Cheers,
John

Several species of Trabala in S.E.Asia.

cheers, Roger.