PDA

View Full Version : 2 more Moth Cats (I think)

Painted Jezebel
05-Jan-2008, 08:51 PM
Two more interesting cats.

The first is very small, I think probably second instar. The second is a great nasty looking brute with all those spines.

Any ideas to their IDs, Family or Genus level would be fine.

hkmoths
05-Jan-2008, 09:15 PM
The colourful one is Cyclosia papilionaris (Zygaenidae, Chalcosiinae)

The brown one looks more like a Nymphalidae of some sort.

cheers,

Roger.

Painted Jezebel
06-Jan-2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks very much, Roger. I'll repost the ugly one:grin2: onto the early stages forum. Discussion on that one will cease here, unless shown to be a moth in due course!

Painted Jezebel
06-Jan-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the ID on No.1, Roger. I have googled it and discovered that the moth is what I call 'That bloody thing again', as it is another I keep mistaking for a butt when on the wing, only discovering its true identity when it rests.:bsmile:

Painted Jezebel
07-Jan-2008, 05:11 PM
No 2 is a moth after all, Roger. It has made a cocoon today, but in a very inaccessible position for photography. I am having to photo through the netting to get a shot of it. It also does not help being the same colour as the box!

From the colour of the cocoon, it appears to have used the wood of the box to make it!

I hope to give you a nice surprise in 10-14 days!:)

hkmoths
07-Jan-2008, 11:47 PM
Many thanks, Les.

one to keep tabs on. Could run a sweepstake on which family!!

(my guess would be Notodontidae)

cheers, Roger.

Painted Jezebel
08-Jan-2008, 08:36 PM
Here are photos of hostplant. Can anyone ID please.

Painted Jezebel
28-Jan-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi Roger, this is what we have been waiting for. After 3 weeks in the pupal stage, this emerged today.:gbounce:

PS. What is it?

hkmoths
28-Jan-2008, 12:40 PM
One funky moth - Apsarasa radians (Noctuidae)

http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-12/amphipyrinae/amphipyrinae_21_1.php

It appears there is no previous host record, so definitely worth publishing a short note in a journal on this subject.

cheers, Roger.

Painted Jezebel
28-Jan-2008, 12:48 PM
Thank you Roger. With regards to hostplant, can you advise how to get it ID'd. Also, which publication would you recommend to publish this info in, and would you be kind enough to vet the article when I've completed it?

hkmoths
28-Jan-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Les - please see p.m. for continuation of this discussion.

cheers, Roger.

Painted Jezebel
31-Jan-2008, 09:15 AM
Four of my 9 Cyclosia papilionaris cocoons have emerged. Three are what I was expecting (First two pics), but the fourth is completely different (last 2 pics). Can you explain this please. Roger?

hkmoths
31-Jan-2008, 09:17 AM
that'd be the male!

cheers, Roger

Painted Jezebel
31-Jan-2008, 09:20 AM
That was quick!. Thank you. I had looked at the antennae and they 'appeared' to be the same (though I wasn't wearing my glasses!:) ) so I thought that they were all the same sex. Also, I had obviously only seen pics of the whiter female before!

hkmoths
31-Jan-2008, 02:39 PM
caught me on my breakfast internet slot!

atronox
09-Mar-2008, 01:56 AM
The ugly cat looks just as freaky in wings!