PDA

View Full Version : Moth Cat ID please

Painted Jezebel
03-Jan-2008, 11:50 AM
This was found feeding on one of my Banana (Musa sp.) plants. I have discounted it being a butt cat by using the Hostplant database, but would like to know its ID. However, looking at its feet, I'm not even sure it is a moth!

Commander
03-Jan-2008, 12:06 PM
That's a pretty one, Les.

Your photographic skills have also improved from the much sharper images and composition of the subject. :grin2:

atronox
03-Jan-2008, 06:19 PM
That's a slug caterpillar, so called because of the way it moves.

Painted Jezebel
03-Jan-2008, 07:39 PM
Thank you, Aaron. I'd never heard of them before. Again using the Hostplant database, I've discovered records of only three members of the Limacodidae from Thailand with Musa as a foodplant. These are Thosea rara, Thosea sinensis and Setora fletcheri.

Roger, can you confirm if it one of those, or do I have to contact the NHM with a new record?

PS, I've ordered my gardener NOT to touch any if he finds them, many of this Genus have severely urticating hairs!

zac08
04-Jan-2008, 01:31 AM
Looks like one of those nudibranches from the seas....

beautiful... :cool:

hkmoths
04-Jan-2008, 12:47 PM
Thank you, Aaron. I'd never heard of them before. Again using the Hostplant database, I've discovered records of only three members of the Limacodidae from Thailand with Musa as a foodplant. These are Thosea rara, Thosea sinensis and Setora fletcheri.

Roger, can you confirm if it one of those, or do I have to contact the NHM with a new record?

PS, I've ordered my gardener NOT to touch any if he finds them, many of this Genus have severely urticating hairs!

Hi Les,

This isn't a Thosea as the larvae of this genus don't have the fancy spines. Can't rule out Setora. However, I'd recommend awaiting this one's eclosion until sending a record to the BMNH's Hosts database. Also keep a full record, with photos and morphometric data, so that you can write up the observations and publish in a journal on natural history / Lepidoptera somewhere.

cheers, Roger.

Painted Jezebel
04-Jan-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks Roger. Can you please advise of the pupation requirements for this Family. Underground or on the plants? As it not a Thosea, which I've seen before as adults, I am getting quite intrigued.

Still feeding like Billy Bunter!

hkmoths
05-Jan-2008, 09:13 PM
The two limacodids I've reared both spun up very loose cocoons sandwiched between a few leaves.

cheers,

Roger.

Painted Jezebel
07-Jan-2008, 05:04 PM
It has pupated this morning. Unfortunately, it has inconsiderately attached itself to the bottom of my rearing box, thereby making it unavailable until it has eclosed.

Painted Jezebel
17-Aug-2010, 04:57 PM
I never updated this thread, as the moth never eclosed.:cry: However, I have had it identified today as a Limacodid moth, Setora tagalog.