PDA

View Full Version : Moth cat to ID

Painted Jezebel
18-Dec-2007, 08:43 AM
I think this pretty little cat is a Eudocima sp. However, which one?

atronox
18-Dec-2007, 01:29 PM
Is this related to the fruit piercer moth?

Painted Jezebel
18-Dec-2007, 03:43 PM
If I'm right about the Genus, then yes, it is a fruit piercer.

hkmoths
19-Dec-2007, 09:53 AM
Is this related to the fruit piercer moth?

Hi Aaron, there are many species of fruit-piercing moth, mostly in Noctuidae.

cheers, Roger.

hkmoths
19-Dec-2007, 09:55 AM
I think this pretty little cat is a Eudocima sp. However, which one?

Not 100% sure, but probably Eudocima phalonia (=Othreis fullonia); maybe a third instar :thinking: ??

cheers,

Roger.

Painted Jezebel
19-Dec-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks Roger. I am slightly disappointed, as I already have a pic, shown here a few months ago of the final instar. It looked different, with additional markings, hence the question. You also answered another question I had, with the synonym.

Sky Blue
20-Dec-2007, 12:18 AM
Just wondering how is the mouth part of this fruit-piercing moth looks like, I used to catch them at night with touch light when I'm young during manggo season, (they attack my manggo plant / fruit), you know the young manggo fruit as hard as stone...

atronox
21-Dec-2007, 12:24 AM
Just wondering how is the mouth part of this fruit-piercing moth looks like, I used to catch them at night with touch light when I'm young during manggo season, (they attack my manggo plant / fruit), you know the young manggo fruit as hard as stone... They actually pierce unripe mangoes? That's incredible!:what: They must haf strong mouthparts or a sharp appendage.

hkmoths
22-Dec-2007, 05:23 PM
Just wondering how is the mouth part of this fruit-piercing moth looks like, I used to catch them at night with touch light when I'm young during manggo season, (they attack my manggo plant / fruit), you know the young manggo fruit as hard as stone...

the haustellum (proboscis / tongue) is barbed in many of the fruit piercing species and is used like a saw to break through tough skin.

cheers, Roger.

hkmoths
22-Dec-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks Roger. I am slightly disappointed, as I already have a pic, shown here a few months ago of the final instar. It looked different, with additional markings, hence the question. You also answered another question I had, with the synonym.

there are three or four known colour forms in the larval stages of this species and several congeners. One should really rear through to the adult for confirmation.

cheers,

Roger.