PDA

View Full Version : KS 8/12 - These don't look right!

Painted Jezebel
08-Dec-2007, 07:55 PM
Went to a new area of forest edge today. Cloudy, but a little bit of butt activity.

These two do not seem to fit the norm. Can anyone help with their ID.

1) Eurema sp. This has three cell spots on the forewing so it should be Eurema blanda. However, according the the C&P4 key, E. blanda also has a spot at the end of space 7 on the hindwing underside. This does not.

2 Horaga sp. The underside hind wing looks completely different to anything I've seen before here on the Island and in the ref books I have.

Please help, my UFO file is getting too big!:bsmile:

Sky Blue
08-Dec-2007, 11:05 PM
Take a look on the photos of our local Horaga sp in the checklist (http://www.b-pals.com/butts/spc_photo.php?spc_id=182&img_list_id=79), the hindwing marking seems to be very variable between individual. Not sure whether that similar to what you have up there.

Painted Jezebel
08-Dec-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks SC. I did have a look before I posted. It could be that this is a very pristine specimen, but the colour of the underside hindwing markings look much bluer than anything posted, and the central stripe, when it joins at the tornus is much wider. Hence my concerns.

atronox
09-Dec-2007, 02:33 AM
The horaga sp is most likely H. onyx as the spot on the underside of the hindwing is larger n the space between the blue bands on the hind wing is narrower than in syrinx.