PDA

View Full Version : From my Beer provider!

Painted Jezebel
26-Nov-2007, 06:32 PM
Could someone ID this pretty moth, pointed out to me by the charming lady who provides me with my regular liquid sustenance after my walk to and from the waterfall. Thank you.

hkmoths
29-Nov-2007, 02:16 PM
Lymantria sp.

a female

This is not illustrated in the recent monograph of the genus by Pogue & Schaefer (2007) A Review of selected species of Lymantria H?bner [1819]....

cheers,

Roger.

Painted Jezebel
29-Nov-2007, 06:23 PM
Lymantria sp.

a female

This is not illustrated in the recent monograph of the genus by Pogue & Schaefer (2007) A Review of selected species of Lymantria H?bner [1819]....

cheers,

Roger.

Thank you Roger.

Do you mean that they do not know this species!!!!!! or simply that they did not have (or show) a photo. Would they want one? Bit late for the monograph though.

If they are to do a monograph, surely it should include all known species, otherwise, just by including a select few, it loses some scientific merit! (IMHO)

hkmoths
30-Nov-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Les,

The guys were funded by the USDA, hence a bias towards known forest "pest" species within the genus. Also, they were focusing more on temperate and subtropical East Asia, rather than S.E.Asia, with a view to investigating potentially invasive species that could be accidentally imported to the USA.

cheers,

Roger.

Painted Jezebel
30-Nov-2007, 06:54 PM
Thankis for the clarification. I have googled Lymantria, but with no luck in getting full ID.

I take it that Lymantia dispar (Gypsy Moth) was a prominent feature of the monograph then!:bsmile:

hkmoths
01-Dec-2007, 11:18 AM
It was included as three subspecies, covering 26 A4 sized pages. The whole publication runs to 223 pp.

cheers, Roger.

Painted Jezebel
01-Dec-2007, 08:14 PM
It was included as three subspecies, covering 26 A4 sized pages. The whole publication runs to 223 pp.

cheers, Roger.

Quelle surprise! However, at 223 pages, I think I have better things to do with my time! Sorry.

hkmoths
02-Dec-2007, 06:30 PM
Fortunately for me, the four species from Hong Kong are included and total just 9 pages between them.

cheers,

Roger.