PDA

View Full Version : A Different Palmfly

Painted Jezebel
25-Nov-2007, 08:06 PM
My first proper trip out since breaking the ribs, and a very good one. Two new species for the Samui list (Lexias dirtea merguia and Hypolimnas misippus misippus). Got a photo of the first but too blurred to show, and only saw the second as I was downing the last of an excellent bottle of Singha Beer, and was in no position to photo it!

However, at long last managed photos of the male of Elymnias hypermnestra tinctoria, the subspecies from the North of Malaysia and South Thailand. Also attach rather old photos of the very different female (sorry, but taken with the old Box Brownie) to give you the full set!

285:gbounce:

Sky Blue
25-Nov-2007, 08:28 PM
Sound like you've a very good recovery, take care, Les :)

atronox
26-Nov-2007, 02:01 AM
Interesting. This is the first time i've seen this type of female in the wild. Is she mimicking some sort of tiger?

Painted Jezebel
26-Nov-2007, 08:17 AM
Interesting. This is the first time i've seen this type of female in the wild. Is she mimicking some sort of tiger?

Yes, indeed. She mimics Danaus chrysippus f. alcippoides. I forgot to mention that my female is E. h. tinctoria f. paraleuca. The standard female form, which I have yet to see here, mimics the standard form of D. chrysippus.

It is an intersting observation that while the white form of E. h. tinctoria is by far the commonest here, it is the standard form of D. chrysippus which is much the commoner.