PDA

View Full Version : Two colourful moths

atronox
09-Nov-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi, all, m posting again, this time 2 moths for ID.

1. Now, i know that this is a member of the saturniidae family n i know it's a male, just forgot the name.:sweat: It was found in the toilet at the ranger station in macritchie.

2. Found this mature moth cat in my school n it hatched out to be an interesting one. After doing some research, i found a moth called daphnis nerii, of which i suspect it is. Cn someone confirm please?(It's blur coz i used my old cam.)

Common Mime
09-Nov-2007, 01:39 PM
Both shots are OOF. kekeke

Try covering your in-built flash with a piece of tissue paper to softern the flash light. :)

Glorious Begum
09-Nov-2007, 07:00 PM
the 2nd pic looks like Oleander Hawk Moth (Daphnis nerii). :cheers:

Yong San
09-Nov-2007, 09:00 PM
Ya, look like that moth in the photo highlight here :) http://butterfly.nss.org.sg/home/index.html

atronox
10-Nov-2007, 03:03 AM
Both shots are OOF. kekeke

Try covering your in-built flash with a piece of tissue paper to softern the flash light. :) Thx. I didn't know that tissue paper could be of any help.:grin2:

the 2nd pic looks like Oleander Hawk Moth (Daphnis nerii). :cheers:

Ya, look like that moth in the photo highlight here :) http://butterfly.nss.org.sg/home/index.html Thx LC Goh n Yong San. I thought it was dapnis nerii bt bcoz of the different food plant(adenium obesum, apocynaceae) and more colourful than usual caterpillar, i thought it could be a closely related sp. Wah, this creature sure is greedy.

atronox
12-Nov-2007, 03:09 AM
Here is the pic of the somewhat atypical cat. I thought the cats were green with blue spiracle openings?:hmmm:

Painted Jezebel
12-Nov-2007, 08:26 AM
They normally are. Here is an old photo of an normally coloured cat taken with my dearly departed Box Brownie. I do not think this cat was very well! Just a suggestion, but could the different colouration be due to the fact the cat was about to pupate?

atronox
12-Nov-2007, 01:05 PM
Just a suggestion, but could the different colouration be due to the fact the cat was about to pupate? Probably not, Les. I haf reared two cats of the same sp. before n they were coloured much like urs even when they were in their 1st instar, which is only a few mm in length as compared to 12 cm in the latest instar(moths seem to haf more instars:hmmm: ). This cat was orange from the start. Btw, r those dropppings hanging from the cat's behind?

Painted Jezebel
12-Nov-2007, 02:49 PM
Btw, r those dropppings hanging from the cat's behind?

No! I don't know what it was, but it looks disgusting. As I said, I do not think it was very well!