PDA

View Full Version : Is this #280 ?

Yong San
08-Oct-2007, 04:48 PM
Is this female Arhopala eumolphus maxwelli ?
So sorry, I know I can compare it with the checklist, but I still not very sure after many looks.
Can anyone advise ? Thank you.

atronox
08-Oct-2007, 06:44 PM
Sorry to disappoint u, bt that is an arhopala athada athada (http://www.b-pals.com/butts/show_photo.php?img_id=2616). It looks really like the green oakblue though.

Yong San
08-Oct-2007, 10:27 PM
Sorry to disappoint u, bt that is an arhopala athada athada (http://www.b-pals.com/butts/show_photo.php?img_id=2616). It looks really like the green oakblue though.

Thank you :)

horace2264
08-Oct-2007, 10:38 PM

I don't think it is possible to say with 100% certainty that this is an Arhopala athada athada. The species in the cleander group of Arhopala all have very similar underside markings. Do you mind sharing why you think this is an Arhopala athada athada for sure?

Horace

Silverstreak
09-Oct-2007, 12:53 AM
Yong san,

I am quite sure that this is not a Green OakBlue not based on guess work or what I think , but with reference to some sample that I am in the process of compiling to establish the underwing key IDs for this species.

Pending more field data collection and consolidation I will post these keys ID features and review some shots I have posted on this species.

Other than it does not match those key IDs there are a few other difference on the specimen you have shot.

As to what it is I wun even venture a guess without knowing how the upper wings looks like.

A picture is word a thousand words....took the liberty of invereting and mirroring your shot for ease of comparison.

atronox
09-Oct-2007, 08:05 AM
I don't think it is possible to say with 100% certainty that this is an Arhopala athada athada. The species in the cleander group of Arhopala all have very similar underside markings. Do you mind sharing why you think this is an Arhopala athada athada for sure?

Horace Looking at the diagram, the bar near the apex on the underside is different, being wavy in eumolphus n straight in athada.

horace2264
09-Oct-2007, 08:46 AM
Looking at the diagram, the bar near the apex on the underside is different, being wavy in eumolphus n straight in athada.
As I said, quite a few Arhopala species share similar underside markings with A. athada athada including the "straight" postdiscal band on the FW underside. You cannot conclude that it is A. athada athada right away by comparing underside markings alone with the pic in the checklist. Get a copy of C&P4 and read up on the various distinguishing keys for Arhopala species, and you will learn it is not wise to jump to conclusion on many of the Arhopala IDs based only on field shots and underside markings.

Horace

Yong San
09-Oct-2007, 09:59 AM
I am quite sure that this is not a Green OakBlue not based on guess work or what I think , but with reference to some sample that I am in the process of compiling to establish the underwing key IDs for this species.

Thank you Sunny, for your time and effort to look into great detail.
In addition, the keys ID features photo for comparison is really super and help me to look for such detail in future.:cheers:

atronox
09-Oct-2007, 07:16 PM
Get a copy of C&P4 and ...

Horace
Am getting, just that it is exam period now.