PDA

View Full Version : The Elegant Emperor?

horace2264
03-Oct-2007, 08:00 PM
While monitoring an Arhopala female flying around its host plant, a Baron-typed butt flew within sight and perched itself on a nearby tree-top. I took three cheap shots (see pic 1 for one), thinking that it is a Horsefield's Baron and forgot about it for the rest of the outing.

The review session on my home PC however revealed a butt which I have not seen before (see pic 2 and 3 for cropped portions showing the wing markings). Checking both C&P4 and Pisuth's book shows that it closely matches a female Eulaceura osteria kumana (The Elegant Emperor).

What do you think?

Horace

Silverstreak
03-Oct-2007, 08:05 PM
Wah!

Well Done Horace!

:what: It does look like a female Eulaceura osteria kumana (The Elegant Emperor). .... species #281 ???:bsmile:

More surprises from the SLOP!!!

Saw some of them Horsefield's Baron look alike and din even bother to shoot....Must shoot every butts on site and scrutinize everything there from now on!!!

Commander
03-Oct-2007, 08:19 PM
Alamak!!!... Eulaceura osteria kumana is our humble and common Purple Duke lah... check the scientific name, not the common name. There are too many 'invented' common names across too many countries. ;P

Anyway... you weren't the only one who thought that it's a new species. Richard asked the same question here (http://b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5498) recently. :)

Commander
03-Oct-2007, 08:27 PM
Would you PLEASE slow down, down there!!!!:bsmile:

Don't worry Les. This one's a false alarm. We remain at 280 for the moment. :grin2:

Painted Jezebel
03-Oct-2007, 08:28 PM
Woops, you responded before I could get message deleted.

richardlbong
03-Oct-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Horace you should have seen my latest post shich also showed this specie, but shot much closer.
Richard

horace2264
03-Oct-2007, 08:35 PM
Oops, I have seen female Purple Duke quite a few times in the past and yet I could not tell the difference in this case.

Horace

horace2264
03-Oct-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi Horace you should have seen my latest post shich also showed this specie, but shot much closer.
Richard
I saw that post before, but somehow I could not recall the features.

Horace

Commander
03-Oct-2007, 08:37 PM
:bsmile: :bsmile: :bsmile: Perhaps we're all feeling so much pressure from our pal up north closing in on us, that we're beginning to 'see' new species every day.

Silverstreak
03-Oct-2007, 10:56 PM
:whistle::sweat:That shows how much attention we pay to these tongue twisting binominal names !;P;P

A :stupid: Duke that turned into an The Elegant Emperor also does not help matters !

Commander
04-Oct-2007, 10:10 AM
That's the reason people like Les, Roger, me and the 'old world' collectors prefer to use the Latin names rather than the English common names. Cos the common names can always be "re-invented" to suit the authors in a particular country.

However for public appeal, it's always much simpler to refer to the common names.

atronox
04-Oct-2007, 10:19 AM
Quite obvious it is purple duke.