PDA

View Full Version : Please ID this moth

Painted Jezebel
24-Sep-2007, 07:49 PM
This moth was behaving very much like a forest Hesperid (Hasora sp. or Erionota sp.) in the way it was darting about. Wasted much time chasing it! Any idea what it is so I can cross another one off my Christmas list.

hkmoths
26-Sep-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi Les,

A bit tricky, this one.
My initial thoughts were to look for a Speiredonia sp. (Noctuidae, Catocalinae), but both the Moths of Borneo and the Moths of Thailand drew blanks - nothing with the small pale basal stigma. MoB illustrates something on a neighbouring plate that is quite closely allied - the female of Anereuthina renosa, that is a close match, but not quite exact, and fortunately the MoT illustrates the male as well. The lovely lilac fasciation is mentioned in the MoB text, but doesn't show in any of the illustrations. Your photo depicts the male.

cheers,

Roger.

atronox
26-Sep-2007, 07:27 PM
Just wonderin how moths evolve those "holes". M i right that they r for confusin predators?

Painted Jezebel
26-Sep-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks again, Roger. Nice to know I got you thinking a bit.:bsmile: I googled the species, but there were only 5 entries, and no pics!

I have the Moths of Borneo in my 'favourites' on the computer, but I have yet to come across The Moths of Thailand. Is it a web site, or a book?

hkmoths
26-Sep-2007, 11:52 PM
.......I have the Moths of Borneo in my 'favourites' on the computer, but I have yet to come across The Moths of Thailand. Is it a web site, or a book?

A series of books - I think five volumes have been published so far.

(can't remember, but probably Saturniidae and maybe some other bombycoids)
Sphingidae (a useful reference): Inoue, H., Kennett, R.D. & Kitching, I.J., 1997. The Moths of Thailand - vol.2: Sphingidae. Chok Chai Press, Bangkok.
Noctuidae (part 1) - covers the "quadrifine" noctuids - I have found a few errors though: Kononenko, V.S. & Pinratana, Bro. A., 2005. Moths of Thailand, volume 3: Noctuidae; an illustrated catalogue of the Noctuidae (Insecta, Lepidoptera) in Thailand; part 1 - subfamilies Herminiinae, Rivulinae, Hypeninae, Catocalinae, Aganainae, Euteliinae, Stictopterinae, Plusiinae, Pantheinae, Acronictinae and Agaristinae. Brothers of Saint Gabriel in Thailand, Bangkok. iv + 261 pp.
Lasiocampidae (2006)
Notodontidae (published earlier this year)

There is also a Thai insect website run by John Moore in Chiang Mai - the moths are at http://www.thaibugs.com/moths1.htm.

cheers,

Roger.

Painted Jezebel
27-Sep-2007, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm adding those books to my Christmas Wants List - anyone interested in making me very happy around December 25?:bsmile:

I know John's website well, and often visit it. We are in occasional communication.