PDA

View Full Version : Maroon larva

Painted Jezebel
18-Sep-2007, 06:46 PM
This is being transferred from another forum.

This larva/grub was found on a foodplant of the Commander. Any idea of its ID? Unusual colouration, and I like the cream marking on the side. SK says he thinks its a moth, I'm not so sure, but he is usually right!

atronox
18-Sep-2007, 07:39 PM
It looks quite like some lycaenids too expt for da colour.

hkmoths
19-Sep-2007, 09:59 AM
This is definitely zygaenoid. In shape it resembles some of the Darna species (Limacodidae), although it also has a superficial similarity to Trypanophora semihyalinata (Zygaenidae). I don't supposed it was retained to rear through?

cheers,

Roger.

Painted Jezebel
19-Sep-2007, 10:44 AM
Thank you Roger. No, unfortunately, I have not retained it. However, the plant is at my favourite waterfall, and I can try. The problem is I would only be able to get the foodplant when I visit it, and, after heavy rains, like we've had here the last 3 days, the plant is cut off from the bank by a torrent.

If I can rear it, how does it pupate. Does it descend the plant and pupate underground or is it an aerial pupater? (I would need to provide the right conditions)

hkmoths
19-Sep-2007, 09:00 PM
T. semihyalinata will happily fold over a leaf or two of the hostplant and pupate therein. Most Limacodidae will do likewise.
I now think this is probably a Limacodidae rather than the burnet moth (photo of T. semihyalinata larva (3rd and final instars) & cocoon attached f.y.i.)

cheers,

Roger.

atronox
19-Sep-2007, 09:33 PM
Bt this one lacks the 2 white spots.

hkmoths
20-Sep-2007, 07:33 PM
Bt this one lacks the 2 white spots.

not to mention the "verrucae" (knobbly bits!!) on the dorsal edges - this is why I think (as I said in the previous post) it is not the zygaenid T. semihyalinata, but is a Limacodidae, possibly in the genus Darna.

cheers,

Roger.

atronox
20-Sep-2007, 07:47 PM
I see. Missed that one.

Painted Jezebel
21-Sep-2007, 09:18 AM
Visited plant yesterday. Despite rigorous search of the plant which amused various tourists, no sign of it. Will try again in next few days though.

Common Mime
21-Sep-2007, 09:21 AM
which amused various tourists,

277hahahaha the crazy farang :bsmile: