PDA

View Full Version : Imperfect butts and shots at SF on 22Aug

Peacock Royal
22-Aug-2004, 03:55 PM
Last minute, I decided to go to Sime again. But did'nt stay there long. Met three B-Pals members at different times. Nice surpirses. With their help, I was able to snap some shots below.

#1 :Vindula dejone erotella (Cruiser) near the Lantana spot
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/Federick/Butterfly/CruiseratSFon22Aug.jpg

#2 : Abisara savitri savitri along the Tree Top Trail
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/Federick/Butterfly/AbisarasavitrisavitriatSFon22Aug.jpg

#3 : Moduza procris milonia (Commander) near the Tree Top Trail
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/Federick/Butterfly/CommanderatSFon22Aug.jpg

#4 : Graphium sarpedon luctatius (Common Bluebottle) at the drain
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/Federick/Butterfly/BluebottleatSFon22Aug.jpg

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 04:38 PM
not bad mah? except for the tattered Abisara.. looks like the same species we saw last week

the male cruiser is abit over

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 04:40 PM
oops.. we saw the Abisara geza niya last week.. not the A. savitri savitri

Peacock Royal
22-Aug-2004, 04:44 PM
not bad mah? except for the tattered Abisara.. looks like the same species we saw last week
the male cruiser is abit over

Thanks for your comments.
See If I can use PS to adjust the Cruiser shot. Must practise PS more often.
The Abisara savitri savitri was a long range shot (using max zoom on my cam).
Do you have any new additions today ?

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks for your comments.
See If I can use PS to adjust the Cruiser shot. Must practise PS more often.
The Abisara savitri savitri was a long range shot (using max zoom on my cam).
Do you have any new additions today ?

try using curve...

yup, defintely got new additions today :cheers:

airforce1
22-Aug-2004, 04:56 PM
Federick--Thanks for the info on Abisara savitri savitri. I managed to record it. I managed to add four new additions.

Peacock Royal
22-Aug-2004, 04:59 PM
Federick--Thanks for the info on Abisara savitri savitri. I managed to record it. I managed to add four new additions.

Congratulations
Must thank Commander also.
Let us see your Abisara savitri shot leh. I hope you shot one with perfect wings.

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 05:12 PM
sounds like u guys had fun today

Peacock Royal
22-Aug-2004, 05:45 PM
sounds like u guys had fun today

In fact we were very much on our own this morning. After chasing the four-winged Commander, I realised that I was a bit far away from the two-legged Commander and at that point I decided to walk back towards the Ranger Station and met you.

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 05:53 PM
In fact we were very much on our own this morning. After chasing the two-winged Commander, I realised that I was a bit far away from the two-legged Commander and at the point I decided to walk back towards the Ranger Station and met you.

all I can say now is, you should be followed me... :bsmile:

Commander
22-Aug-2004, 05:54 PM
In fact we were very much on our own this morning. After chasing the two-winged Commander, I realised that I was a bit far away from the two-legged Commander and at the point I decided to walk back towards the Ranger Station and met you.

:bsmile: I went further on the track to search for the overgrown track that I used to walk up the hill from that location. I finally found it, and trekked up towards the tree top bridge and went onto the boardwalk at the higher level. Was wondering where you disappeared to.

I thought Simon was at AH?? Otherwise would've called you, cos you said that you only had half a day to spend. ;P

Anyway, had my tripod carrier to assist me today. ;-)

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 05:58 PM
:bsmile: I went further on the track to search for the overgrown track that I used to walk up the hill from that location. I finally found it, and trekked up towards the tree top bridge and went onto the boardwalk at the higher level. Was wondering where you disappeared to.

I thought Simon was at AH?? Otherwise would've called you, cos you said that you only had half a day to spend. ;P

Anyway, had my tripod carrier to assist me today. ;-)

last minute changed of plans, niece got a fever, so not coming over to celebrate her b'day with us.. so was thinking to myself.. AH has 2 b'fly on my want list.. and Sime has more :bsmile: so needless to say, i chosen the latter.. hmm.. after meeting federick who told me where you went.. went there searching for u.. but bolang, walked to the end of that track till i hit the SICC road and turned back.. (and luckily i turned bacl :bsmile: ) was your wife wearing a red safari hat?

Commander
22-Aug-2004, 06:01 PM
last minute changed of plans, niece got a fever, so not coming over to celebrate her b'day with us.. so was thinking to myself.. AH has 2 b'fly on my want list.. and Sime has more :bsmile: so needless to say, i chosen the latter.. hmm.. after meeting federick who told me where you went.. went there searching for u.. but bolang, walked to the end of that track till i hit the SICC road and turned back.. (and luckily i turned bacl :bsmile: ) was your wife wearing a red safari hat?

Ah... was probably up the hill by the time you reached that track. Yes, she was wearing a red hat. Pretending to be a bright red flower to attract butts to land on her. ;P

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 06:03 PM
Ah... was probably up the hill by the time you reached that track. Yes, she was wearing a red hat. Pretending to be a bright red flower to attract butts to land on her. ;P

I heard some voices near to the bridge area... hmmm.. I saw your wife carrying your tripod around the ranger station but didn't see you.. actually, I recognise your tripod .. Gizto explorer with markin head ;P

Commander
22-Aug-2004, 06:07 PM
I heard some voices near to the bridge area... hmmm.. I saw your wife carrying your tripod around the ranger station but didn't see you.. actually, I recognise your tripod .. Gizto explorer with markin head ;P

There were a few other people there too. They climbed up from the other side where the boardwalk is. All of them were asking us how to get on the tree top bridge.

She got back to the Ranger station first. I was still out there shooting some Cruisers.

Erm... mine's with a Kirk BH-3, not Markins. ;P

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 06:33 PM
There were a few other people there too. They climbed up from the other side where the boardwalk is. All of them were asking us how to get on the tree top bridge.

She got back to the Ranger station first. I was still out there shooting some Cruisers.

Erm... mine's with a Kirk BH-3, not Markins. ;P

oops :bsmile: I saw the cruiser but not you leh... :thinking:

Commander
22-Aug-2004, 06:35 PM
oops :bsmile: I saw the cruiser but not you leh... :thinking:

Hmm... but I wasn't wearing my Predator invisible suit leh... :bsmile:

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 06:39 PM
Hmm... but I wasn't wearing my Predator invisible suit leh... :bsmile:

wahahaaa.. but surprisely, saw a few cruisers today

The Monarch
22-Aug-2004, 07:47 PM
Hi Fredrick.

Why is your post title 'Imprefect shots'? We're all here to share what we shoot/experience, as well as to learn from each other. More of a community of nature/butterfly lovers, than a critique photography forum.

Nice catch on the Commander and Bluebottle.

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 07:49 PM
Hi Fredrick.

Why is your post title 'Imprefect shots'? We're all here to share what we shoot/experience, as well as to learn from each other. More of a community of nature/butterfly lovers, than a critique photography forum.

Nice catch on the Commander and Bluebottle.

OT: thought you want to change your nick and avatar? ;P

Commander
22-Aug-2004, 07:53 PM
Hi Fredrick.

I second Jason's comments. We're more of a group of enthusiasts who try to capture various species of butterflies in their natural environment, without capturing/killing them. If a shot is "photographically perfect" then that's a bonus for us. The primary aim of ButterflyPals is not about photography first and butts second. It's the other way around. ;P

Anyway, I think Federick's referring to the tattered condition of the butts he shot today, rather than his photography, when he referred to "imperfect"? :-)

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 07:58 PM
imperfect is one of many things of nature ;P

yeah, getting good shots is a bonus.. sometimes, composition, nice smooth backgrd is very difficult to achieve in the field

Commander
22-Aug-2004, 07:59 PM
yeah, getting good shots is a bonus.. sometimes, composition, nice smooth backgrd is very difficult to achieve in the field

Hear hear... let's see a "photographer" shoot 110 species all with nice smooth backgrounds... ;P

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 08:06 PM
Hear hear... let's see a "photographer" shoot 110 species all with nice smooth backgrounds... ;P

yeah... to achieve that.. think u need a helper to hold your favorite backgrd each time u shoot... then maybe you also need to carry a few studio lights to get the right exposure :bsmile:

The Monarch
22-Aug-2004, 08:07 PM
OT: thought you want to change your nick and avatar? ;P

OT: My Five Bar didn't turn out as well as I expected, dosen't stand out from the background at all. Heh. Maybe I process with too much contrast. I notice your shots which you process with less contrast tend to have the butt stand out from the background more than mine. A point to consider when I post-processing in the future. I just love having lots of contrast, heh.

One day when I can get a nice Five Bar picture... maybe will change nick then if Admin's allow. Heh heh heh. :blah:

Since I'll probably not a picture of a Monarch anytime soon.

The Monarch
22-Aug-2004, 08:09 PM

Main problem we face, I feel, is in the forest undergrowth, too many background leaves/brances and whatever you have hanging down when you can get background lighting. If no background lighting, then everything is black, also not nice. Either way it's hard.

For urban species like those which can be found at AH, easier to get nice backgrounds, but those at Sime and USR, very hard.

Commander
22-Aug-2004, 08:13 PM
One day when I can get a nice Five Bar picture... maybe will change nick then if Admin's allow. Heh heh heh. :blah:

Since I'll probably not a picture of a Monarch anytime soon.

Let me know if you wanna change. No prob one... ;P

Maybe you should consider an Aussie butt, since you'll be there for some time. Look for a nice one, then shoot it and make it your nick! :cheers:

The Monarch
22-Aug-2004, 08:17 PM
Let me know if you wanna change. No prob one... ;P

Maybe you should consider an Aussie butt, since you'll be there for some time. Look for a nice one, then shoot it and make it your nick! :cheers:

I have been trying to look for reference sites online like yours, of Aussie butts, but not much luck. Any to recommend?

Simon: I realise another reason why my Five Bar not as nice as yours, because I was shooting at a slightly different angle, and the soil in my background had lots of black in it. :broken:

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 08:21 PM
OT: kekekeee.. cut and paste onto your fav. background :bsmile: but at least yr DOF is nice...

Peacock Royal
22-Aug-2004, 08:46 PM
The primary aim of ButterflyPals is not about photography first and butts second. It's the other way around.
Anyway, I think Federick's referring to the tattered condition of the butts he shot today, rather than his photography, when he referred to "imperfect"?
I second the objective of this forum.
The "imperfect" refers to the tattered conditions. The "imperfect shot" I refer to is the Abisara shot. Photographically I am satisfied with the other shots though some areas need improvement. My main objective of shooting butts is to understand butts/nature better and the thrill in looking for and chasing butts and of course the B-Pals frendship and outings also. Agree that, good photos will be a big bonus to me.

Commander
22-Aug-2004, 08:55 PM
I have been trying to look for reference sites online like yours, of Aussie butts, but not much luck. Any to recommend?

Not that I'm aware of. Different butterflies in different districts I suppose, and I understand that those in Cairns are the largest and most spectacular amongst the Birdwings.

Commander
22-Aug-2004, 08:56 PM
yeah... to achieve that.. think u need a helper to hold your favorite backgrd each time u shoot... then maybe you also need to carry a few studio lights to get the right exposure :bsmile:

With all that equipment, you'll probably get a perfectly exposed, tack sharp, great depth-of-field, perfect bokeh with butter-smooth background picture of a ... leaf! :bsmile:

The Monarch
22-Aug-2004, 09:10 PM
With all that equipment, you'll probably get a perfectly exposed, tack sharp, great depth-of-field, perfect bokeh with butter-smooth background picture of a ... leaf! :bsmile:

Haha.... :bsmile:

Anyway I was playing around with my 550EX as a slave for Stephen's 550EX yesterday. Not very successful, but we'll try more next time.

Kinda pity not everyone is on the same gear and equipment, if not we could have multiple slave flashes going off in all angles and directions.

Elbowed Pierrot
22-Aug-2004, 09:13 PM
Haha.... :bsmile:

Anyway I was playing around with my 550EX as a slave for Stephen's 550EX yesterday. Not very successful, but we'll try more next time.

Kinda pity not everyone is on the same gear and equipment, if not we could have multiple slave flashes going off in all angles and directions.

hahahaaa... my sigma can be a slave as well

Common Rose
22-Aug-2004, 09:32 PM
That's a good one! :bsmile:

Commander
22-Aug-2004, 09:53 PM

More of C users here. So you guys can share the flashes. Or go fully manual and adjust accordingly. My SB80DX can be triggered off by any other flash as well, bit no TTL though.