PDA

View Full Version : Aporandria specularia

richardlbong
01-Sep-2007, 10:21 PM
In front of my flat there are a number of mango trees. This moth is found quite often on the wall outside my flat. This is a great opportunity for me to test out the 40D with the Tokina 100mm macro lens and the Sigma 500 Super DG flash. Apparently the camera worked so well with the flash, even able to control the FEC (flash exposure compensation) that I can find no difference in the exposure from this flash as compared to that of the 580EX.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/digimania/Image00001.jpg
I believe this is the Aporandria specularia (Large Green Aporandria) whose caterpillars feed on the mango leaves. Roger, please correct me if I'm wrong. Sorry Les, I added this to your thread. Should have started a new one.
Richard

hkmoths
02-Sep-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi Richard,

This looks like a correct i.d., having checked with the Moths of Borneo series.

Incidentally, would you call a friend of yours "the ..... (friend's name)" ? So far as I am aware, because a name for a species is a formal noun, the only preposition that should be used (if any) would be "a" or "an" (for a species name beginning with a vowel or "h"). I normally would not use a preposition at all, just as with using a person's name.
As an example, I would have written your sentence below the photo as "I believe this is Aporandria specularia (Large Green Aporandria), whose caterpillars feed on mango leaves." (no "the preceeding A. specularia or mango, as you are not referring to specific individuals in either case; and a comma added after the brackets, as the second section of the sentence is additional information - the first section is a structurally complete sentence as it is).

cheers, Roger.

richardlbong
02-Sep-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks Roger, for the lesson in English grammar and the ID confirmation.
Richard

hkmoths
03-Sep-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi Richard,

What I didn't comment on (and should, as it's the most noticeable component of your original post) - was the photo itself - the 100mm lens works a treat. Crystal clear focus and plenty of d.o.f. with good colour rendition - i.e. correct white balance (set to auto or to flashlight?). Looks like the sort of set up I should save up for!

Incidentally, A. specularia is somewhat surprisingly not yet recorded in Hong Kong - maybe I should go to a mango grove (if there is one in Hong Kong) and set a light trap!

cheers,

Roger.

Glorious Begum
03-Sep-2007, 02:10 PM
Luckily I am not into moth photography, otherwise you will be correcting my English more than the moth IDs. :embrass:

richardlbong
03-Sep-2007, 03:10 PM
Thank you Roger and LC. The setup I used is not that costly, Roger I'm pretty sure you can easily afford that. The Canon 40D, the latest of the semi pro EOS in the market, is around US1250 and the Tokina 100mm macro is possibly one of the cheapest macro lens. Coupled with the Sigma 500 Super DG flash, this whole setup should be under US$1800.
Richard

hkmoths
03-Sep-2007, 10:13 PM
Thank you Roger and LC. The setup I used is not that costly, Roger I'm pretty sure you can easily afford that. The Canon 40D, the latest of the semi pro EOS in the market, is around US1250 and the Tokina 100mm macro is possibly one of the cheapest macro lens. Coupled with the Sigma 500 Super DG flash, this whole setup should be under US$1800.
Richard

"easily afford" does not come to mind at that price - I have a monthly mortgage, two kids, car to run, mouths to feed, insurance, electricity, rates, &c...... and I don't get paid a princely salary doing wildlife conservation work. My wife works too and she has to cover her parents (both retired with no pension) costs as well. Between us we just break even every month. Saving for extras is a luxury at the moment. :( So for the time being I'll have to hope my old coolpix5000 lasts a few more years.

[end of rant!!]

cheers,

Roger.

Commander
03-Sep-2007, 10:19 PM
Good one, Roger. Puts some perspective into the extravagant spending that we see in Singapore.

But then again, in my line of work, I understand that people in the profession get paid 3x the Singapore salaries. :mad2:

hkmoths
03-Sep-2007, 10:21 PM
Luckily I am not into moth photography, otherwise you will be correcting my English more than the moth IDs. :embrass:

Hey, no worries, LC. !!

This particular grammatical case is one that is rife in Hong Kong, and I've had to correct several publications recently in which there were many instances of this mistake. I am well aware that for most members of this forum, English is a second language, so I hope that nobody takes offence if I offer a few notes on the mysteries of the English language when it is appropriate to do so (i.e. in the context of aiding the Lepidoptera discussion and not getting totally off topic - Admins please let me know when you think I'm on a serious tangent!)

cheers,

Roger.

hkmoths
03-Sep-2007, 10:25 PM
Good one, Roger. Puts some perspective into the extravagant spending that we see in Singapore.

But then again, in my line of work, I understand that people in the profession get paid 3x the Singapore salaries. :mad2:

I wish!

cheers,

Roger.

Commander
03-Sep-2007, 10:34 PM
This particular grammatical case is one that is rife in Hong Kong, and I've had to correct several publications recently in which there were many instances of this mistake. I am well aware that for most members of this forum, English is a second language, so I hope that nobody takes offence if I offer a few notes on the mysteries of the English language when it is appropriate to do so (i.e. in the context of aiding the Lepidoptera discussion and not getting totally off topic - Admins please let me know when you think I'm on a serious tangent!)

Roger, you're more than encouraged to do so. We actually have to have a Speak Proper English campaign in Singapore to ensure that we don't end up in the dark ages...