PDA

View Full Version : E. acroleuca apicalis?

horace2264
31-Aug-2007, 09:56 PM
Shot this Banana Skipper in CCA. The butt was frightened either by the flash or the shutter sound, resulting in a shot showing the butt taking off from its perch. Camera settng was ISO3200, 1/125, f5.0.

The upf has a white apical patch. Could this be Erionota acroleuca apicalis? Or simply a worn specimen of the other Erionoto spp.?

Horace

Commander
31-Aug-2007, 10:24 PM
These buggers are difficult enough to ID in a collection, much less a field specimen! But from the spots and the whitened wingtip, I would concur with your ID, though we will never be 100% sure.

However, please note that the correct name should be Erionota hiraca apicalis. If you look at the first few pages of C&P4, there is a loose sheet titled Addenda and Corrigenda. Reference is made to Plate 58 Fig 20 where the correction of the name is mentioned.

horace2264
31-Aug-2007, 10:55 PM
These buggers are difficult enough to ID in a collection, much less a field specimen! But from the spots and the whitened wingtip, I would concur with your ID, though we will never be 100% sure.

However, please note that the correct name should be Erionota hiraca apicalis. If you look at the first few pages of C&P4, there is a loose sheet titled Addenda and Corrigenda. Reference is made to Plate 58 Fig 20 where the correction of the name is mentioned.

Thanks, Khew for the ID "confirmation" and name correction. Agreed that with existence of many look alike Banana Skipper species, and factor of wear-and-tear, ID with 100% confidence on such field shot is not possible.

Horace

Commander
31-Aug-2007, 11:01 PM
Very good noise handling at ISO 3200, nevertheless. :thumbsup:

horace2264
31-Aug-2007, 11:05 PM
Very good noise handling at ISO 3200, nevertheless. :thumbsup:
I did some cleaning up of noise during postprocessing for this shot.
Sunny made quite a few shots of other butts at ISO3200 too. Hopefully we will get to see these shots later on.

Horace

Silverstreak
23-Feb-2010, 03:04 AM
Dug out this thread which I missed while doing forum search on Erionota hiraca apicalis

This must be the late...st reply ever in BC .... 2 years 6 months;P

Went back into my archives and reviewed the 31 Aug 07 file and found that I had shot 2 on that day, one of them with Horace. :bsmile:

According to C&P4 ID keys for the separation of the species of Erionota ...

4. Male upperside forewing apex prominently whitish. Antennal club entirely white above . E. acroleuca ( meaning Erionota hiraca apicalis)

The first shot is of the same individual as Horace. This shot clearly showed the white antennal club.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/Erionota-hiraca-apicalis.jpg
ISO320 1/200s F/5.0 FF HH Canon 40D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/IMG_0056.jpg
ISO3200 1/30s F/9 FF HH Canon 40D

:cheers:

Anthony ,

When confirmed please add to checklist , though not the best... at least it would not be left empty........ and another Plus 1 from my archives :bsmile:

Great Mormon
23-Feb-2010, 09:42 AM
Alright, will do so once you guys give me the green light to add it to the checklist

Commander
23-Feb-2010, 11:20 AM
Sunny, better late than never.

Ant, we can never be 100% sure that it is E. hiraca. But then again, no one can 100% dispute us that it isn't E. hiraca either. So put Horace's and Sunny's first shots into the checklist.

Also, regarding the checklist, it's a question of presentation. If we don't have a good shot with a confirmed ID of the species, there is no need to put such a BIG questionmark to represent the species. Just leave it as a unobtrusive black box so that it doesn't call attention to the fact that we don't have a shot of the species!

Silverstreak
25-Feb-2010, 12:01 AM
See what I meant : After you get your +1 , all of them start appearing from nowhere!!

These two demanded to be shots keep buzzing me in the shade and landing right in front of me.

butterfly_effect
28-Mar-2010, 10:42 PM
more...:D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2724/4469204043_dd07b720fd.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2795/4469202045_de7ea4248e.jpg

Peacock Royal
29-Mar-2010, 12:05 AM
I saw a rather huge and similar-looking skipper at WWW yesterday. If that bugger gave me one more second I would have got a shot.:mad2:

Silverstreak
29-Mar-2010, 12:13 AM
Ellen,

Arhhh!

Finally you got it. Was it near where I told you?

Peacock Royal
29-Mar-2010, 12:46 AM
No, I didn't nail it.
Hmmm, not really at that place you told me.

Silverstreak
29-Mar-2010, 03:00 AM
Ops ! Federick Paiseh! The Erionota hiraca apicalis must have been taken much further in from where you've been today.

I was asking that lucky girl Ellen, whether she shot it at the location I shown her. Where this species was sighted more than a couple of times.

And .............just like the Pitcher Blue (http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9578) she is once again the 3rd person who shot the Erionota hiraca apicalis after Horace and me.:bsmile:

butterfly_effect
29-Mar-2010, 07:36 AM
yup! Near the plc you told me at the edge of the forest cover :)