PDA

View Full Version : My record shots of Chocolate Sailor

horace2264
23-Aug-2007, 07:01 PM
Went for a stroll at the usual playground, and was surprised by this sailor/sergeant type of butts. Initially thought it was one of the female forms of the Color Sergeant, however a closer look allowed me to conclude that it is something else. A check with Bcircle checklist confirms that it is Chocolate Sailor, a +1 for me.

Horace

Painted Jezebel
23-Aug-2007, 09:11 PM
This species, Neptis harita harita is known to me as the Dingiest Sailor ( as opposed to Neptis ormeroda ormeroda which is only the Dingy Sailor!). This is yet another example of different English names being given in different countries to a species, which causes confusion.

Nice photos though!, much better than anything I've managed so far!:thumbsup:

richardlbong
23-Aug-2007, 10:01 PM
Record shots? Looks like everyone here has up the standard. Congrats on your +1 Horace.
Richard

horace2264
23-Aug-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks, Les and Richard for your kind comments.

Les,
Yes, common names could be confusing at times when I read foreign books on butterflies. One example is the Banded Redeye in Australia which is a different species from the Banded Redeye in our checklist.
As for the image quality of shots taken, I am sure with your constant practices in taking butts shots, and possibly adding a macro lens to your setup, you will see the quality of yours shots improving by leaps and bounds.

Horace

Commander
23-Aug-2007, 10:31 PM
Nice shots, Horace, especially the underside shot. This is one pristine specimen. :thumbsup:

horace2264
23-Aug-2007, 10:41 PM
Nice shots, Horace, especially the underside shot. This is one pristine specimen. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Khew. I was lucky to encounter this specimen which gave me quite a bit of times to shoot its underside before soaring high into the forest canopy.

Horace

Cruiser
23-Aug-2007, 10:45 PM
Nice underside shot of the CS :thumbsup: I have not got any good shot of this butt yet.

horace2264
23-Aug-2007, 10:55 PM
Nice underside shot of the CS :thumbsup: I have not got any good shot of this butt yet.

Thanks, Ben Jin. I am sure your turn is just round the corner.

Horace

Sky Blue
24-Aug-2007, 12:00 AM
Horace, as mentioned by the rest, this one does not qualify for record shots, it's even better than some of our shots in the checklist ;-)

horace2264
24-Aug-2007, 12:12 AM
Horace, as mentioned by the rest, this one does not qualify for record shots, it's even better than some of our shots in the checklist ;-)

It is really my first shot of this species in my record, hence I refer to it as my record shot. Actually, the original pic was not so great but the sharpening technique (sharpen twice at twice the final image size, resize, and smart-sharpening to end) given by Sunny helped a lot.

Horace