PDA

View Full Version : 2 more for the checklist!

Painted Jezebel
20-Aug-2007, 10:29 AM
Butt activity still inceasing, I'm pleased to say. Two new ones for you.

1) Underside of the male of Tirumala septentrionis septentrionis (Dark Blue Tiger). There is a pic of a female underside on file, but this is a male as can been seen by the very clear subtornal hindwing brand.

2) Melanitis phedima abdullae (Dark Evening Brown). This species is a xxxxxxx to pin down and get a decent pic out of, particularly as it will always rest on leaf littler, making it invisible. I've often seen one settle, approach carefully, only to see it fly off from an area I had already scanned!

Commander
20-Aug-2007, 10:36 AM
2) Melanitis phedima abdullae (Dark Evening Brown). This species is a xxxxxxx to pin down and get a decent pic out of, particularly as it will always rest on leaf littler, making it invisible. I've often seen one settle, approach carefully, only to see it fly off from an area I had already scanned!

Good one to nail this out in the field. The army could learn a thing or two about camouflage from these buggers.

This species is now a 'common' species in butt parks e.g. in Penang. It is bred on the same bamboo species as the one that I bred the Halpe ormense vilasina on. The cats are hairy and look more like moth cats. But they were plantiful the last time I was at the Penang Butt Farm.

But as you mentioned, shooting in butt farms/parks is 'cheating'. :bsmile:

Sky Blue
20-Aug-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks Les ;-)

Btw, Tirumala septentrionis septentrionis, should it be without "s"? (couldn't find a match when I used the name you type & search from the checklist)

Dark evening brown is something new to me :)

Painted Jezebel
20-Aug-2007, 11:48 PM
On this very rare occasion, I am right, and the checklist is wrong. It is T. septentrionis septentrionis, not septentrioni. (Check with C&P4)

Sky Blue
20-Aug-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks ;-)

The checklist still can goes wrong, as we scanned & convert the data from OCR previously.