PDA

View Full Version : Great Mormon --- which form?

horace2264
31-Jul-2007, 04:03 PM
This particular GM was sighted a week ago in CCA, and I was very much attracted to its largely white upperwings, but no shots were possible then.

Today it was again sighted resting high up in a tree of the lime species (pic 1) and then flew away. Fortunately it was found later at a much lower height (at a different location) for a better shot (pic 2). Checking the Bcircle checklist does not yield an exact match. Which particular form is it?

Edit: Add one cropped shot showing the best underside (pic 3) I managed to take of this GM.

Horace

Commander
31-Jul-2007, 04:49 PM
It's our "local version" of form-esperi of the female Great Mormon. I had written a short note somewhere about the Singapore variant having more white somewhere in the forums. I'll have to go search for it.

My postulation was that since there is no "model" for the mimic form-esperi here in Singapore - the model being the distasteful female Atrophaneura varuna, the female Great Mormon began to evolve and deviate from its original model.

horace2264
31-Jul-2007, 05:10 PM
It's our "local version" of form-esperi of the female Great Mormon. I had written a short note somewhere about the Singapore variant having more white somewhere in the forums. I'll have to go search for it.

My postulation was that since there is no "model" for the mimic form-esperi here in Singapore - the model being the distasteful female Atrophaneura varuna, the female Great Mormon began to evolve and deviate from its original model.

Thanks, Khew for pointing out that it is a local version of the form-esperi.
I will try to search for the relevant past posting. It looks like the deviation is a bit more than just the extent of the white coloration. Comparing the underside of this specimen to that of your 1998 photo (in Bcircle checklist) of this form, the orange patches of this specimen have extended all the way to the apical area, replacing all the blue patches seen in your shot.

Horace

Commander
31-Jul-2007, 10:06 PM
Sorry, my bad. :embrass: The distasteful model for the female Great Mormon f-esperi should be the female Malayan Batwing (Parides (Atrophaneura) nox erebus). The female f-butlerianus which is also found in Singapore, mimics the female Parides (Atrophaneura) varuna varuna.

Painted Jezebel
31-Jul-2007, 10:28 PM
Hm, interesting. It seems to be evolving into a new form. You will need to keep an out out for these females in the next few years to see if it stabilises. Incedentally, looking at the checklist, I notice a tailed female, not a named form taken by Kerwin Sum. It is similar to f. distantianus, but lacks the red markings. Is it either f. ityla or f. takasahi, as I don't know those forms, neither being mentioned in Thai books or by C&P4?

Commander
31-Jul-2007, 10:30 PM
Incedentally, looking at the checklist, I notice a tailed female, not a named form taken by Kerwin Sum.

I think that wasn't shot in Singapore.

Common Mime
31-Jul-2007, 10:32 PM
Incedentally, looking at the checklist, I notice a tailed female, not a named form taken by Kerwin Sum.

257Les, that was shot at HK. :)

Painted Jezebel
31-Jul-2007, 10:34 PM
Thank you, that solves my problem.

richardlbong
31-Jul-2007, 11:06 PM
This was shot in 2003 at the Ubin Quarry. Wang Peck took this shot with a Nikon 5700. One striking feature was the blue colouration and the yellow thorax.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/digimania/TWP/Mormon.jpg
I have not seen this form since.
Richard

Commander
31-Jul-2007, 11:15 PM
That's the more typical Malaysian form-esperi that is encountered north of us. Interesting that it's on Ubin. Note that the whites on the forewings are much less and streaky, like the female of the Malayan Batwing. As for the yellowish abdomen, take a look at Les' earlier shot of a Great Mormon.

I recall the much whiter forewing form occuring on the main island of Singapore more often so far.

Painted Jezebel
31-Jul-2007, 11:18 PM
the yellow abdomen is sometimes found in this species. I attach another form f. distantianus, (found in Singapore, but no pic in your checklist) which also shows this characteristic.

richardlbong
31-Jul-2007, 11:28 PM
Thank you SK and Les for the enlightenment.
Richard

atronox
29-Aug-2008, 02:45 AM
Hm, interesting. It seems to be evolving into a new form. You will need to keep an out out for these females in the next few years to see if it stabilises. Incedentally, looking at the checklist, I notice a tailed female, not a named form taken by Kerwin Sum. It is similar to f. distantianus, but lacks the red markings. Is it either f. ityla or f. takasahi, as I don't know those forms, neither being mentioned in Thai books or by C&P4?

257f. ityla (http://www.bankpodarkov.ru/images/333.jpg)

henrykoh
29-Aug-2008, 09:39 AM
Shot this not too long ago at USR

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/henry_koh2000/frraw00001b.jpg

Commander
29-Aug-2008, 09:58 AM
Yup, this 'variant' of the much whiter forewings appear quite consistent on Singapore island.

Nice background on this shot. The whites are abit blown though.