PDA

View Full Version : Puddling Galore

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 05:06 PM
Just now went somewhere between bukit timah & bukit panjang. Too much for me to handle that I don't which to shoot. Wasted a very good oppurtunity to have a nice shot on the 5-bar swordtail. Here's some 5-bar, more to come as I go thru what I shot today.

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 05:15 PM
Great mormon, which form is this?

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 05:24 PM
Common mormon:

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 05:34 PM
Common Bluebottle:

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 05:41 PM
The cruiser:

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 05:49 PM
Is this a female malayan eggfly?

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 05:58 PM
Lemon emigrant:

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 06:06 PM
Common hedgeblue:

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 06:08 PM
That's all folks...also spotted lime butterfly,tailess line blue and some unID yellows puddling but did not shoot them.

Painted Jezebel
30-Jul-2007, 06:41 PM
Wow! What a collection. I've been trying to get the 5-Bar since I arrived, but they seem to smell me a mile off, must change my aftershave!

Now, to answer your question:
The Great Mormons are males, and as such, there is no named form, unlike the females which have many.

Unfortunately, I have no photos of the female Malayan Eggfly to use as a reference.

Your Lemon emigrants are Catopsilia pomona pomona male f. alcmeone.

There is something worrying me about your Common Hedge Blues, but I can not put my finger on what it is. :thinking: If I find out what it is, I'll let you know.

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 07:00 PM
Thks Les for telling me abt the great mormon. Is there anything wrong with the common hedge blue? Are u refering to its puddling behaviour? :hmmm: This is a male, I can cfrm it by its dark shiny blue as it flies.

Painted Jezebel
30-Jul-2007, 07:14 PM
No, there is something niggling me about the spots. Did the butt seem slightly smaller than usual? I keep on wanting to think it is Callenya lenya lenya (The Long-Winged Hedge Blue, which is an inveterate puddler. It has a brighter blue upperside than even the Common HB. (The pictures in C&P4 don't do the species justice, its much brighter, and the underside markings are much clearer).

I hate these niggles, they just won't go away. I hope someone can confirm I am wrong again - that works!

Painted Jezebel
30-Jul-2007, 07:24 PM
I've just checked the best reference source there is, the checklist here, and all the specimens are the same as yours. Please ignore my previous posts as the ramblings of an old (very lau) man! Sorry if I've confused you, I've confused myself!

Must check my own Common Hedge Blue photos. It may turn out to be A. puspa gisca, but its not meant to be found this far south!

Peacock Royal
30-Jul-2007, 07:48 PM
Wow, the butts must be very hungry after the past two days of bad weather.
A really fruitful outing for you ! :cheers:

Cruiser
30-Jul-2007, 08:38 PM
Wong,

Good harvest and nice series, some with interesting background colours too.
No need to work but shooting butts instead :bsmile:

richardlbong
30-Jul-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow so many puddlers in one spot, Look like another spa. Perhaps we should name this spot Wong's Spa.
Richard

Elbowed Pierrot
30-Jul-2007, 10:20 PM
looks like a new place to visit

Sky Blue
30-Jul-2007, 10:50 PM
wah wong, where you shoot all this har?

So many butts & that really make my finger itchi especiallly on this raining day ;-)

Btw, I like the 3rd shots of your 5-bar, 2nd shot of your Great Mormon (cropping a bit too tight) & like the open wings Common Bluebottle !

Cigaritis wong
30-Jul-2007, 11:40 PM
That place I stumbled by chance. There is a excavator there with a small pile of sand. Might not be a permanent site though. I meant to travel along beluakar track from zhenghua park towards BTNR. But somehow I got lost and ended up with a main road in front. Turn right and walk a bit towards Petir Rd so that I can go under a flyover to BTNR hopefully. That's when I stumbled upon the site. If going by car, I think can park along chestnut ave and walk. Maybe I'll recce toworrow again if weather permits and update those interested.

Common Mime
31-Jul-2007, 09:09 AM
Wong, what brought you from far east to the far west? Nice series!

I like your LE shots, the exposure is just spot on!

Commander
31-Jul-2007, 12:12 PM
Looks like you had a fun time shooting all these puddlers. :thumbsup: No shot of yourself fully prone on the ground? :bsmile:

Cigaritis wong
31-Jul-2007, 06:35 PM
Wong, what brought you from far east to the far west? Nice series!

I like your LE shots, the exposure is just spot on!

Actually wanted to shoot at prp becuz near my workplace after nite shift. Then my colleague told me about this park at bukit panjang which I can travel quite fast from the airport becuz go by ECP, then PIE, BKE. The park is hopeless and so I wondered around and found a trail that leads to BTNR. But I got lost instead and ended up there :bsmile:

Cigaritis wong
31-Jul-2007, 06:38 PM
Looks like you had a fun time shooting all these puddlers. :thumbsup: No shot of yourself fully prone on the ground? :bsmile:

Aiyah today no good ley, only got small butterflies, no rare papilios...sianz

No self-portrait ley, my hand can or not. hehe

Cigaritis wong
31-Jul-2007, 06:41 PM
A pair of yellows, different species I presume. 1 is chocolate grass yellow, the other I dunno. They are the same pair, they just swop location for me to shoot :)

Cigaritis wong
31-Jul-2007, 06:44 PM
The rest of the butts found today. common Caerulean, Tailess line blue & Ciliate Blue.

Cigaritis wong
31-Jul-2007, 06:46 PM
:sweat: Be aware of what's lurking behind you :sweat:

Commander
31-Jul-2007, 07:13 PM
Ooooo... that's one nasty looking cobra. :sweat:

Peacock Royal
31-Jul-2007, 07:30 PM
Wong, Ciliate Blue shots :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wah, cobra . These shots remind us to be vigilant all the time in the field

Cigaritis wong
31-Jul-2007, 10:35 PM
Wong, Ciliate Blue shots :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wah, cobra . These shots remind us to be vigilant all the time in the field

That ciliate blue keep coming back to my bag and beg me to shoot him. So I obliged and rub some of my sweat on the branch for him to pose and feed :cool:

Common Mime
31-Jul-2007, 10:36 PM
Aiyah today no good ley, only got small butterflies, no rare papilios...sianz

No self-portrait ley, my hand can or not. heheSo Singapore leh! :bsmile:

That ciliate blue keep coming back to my bag and beg me to shoot him. So I obliged and rub some of my sweat on the branch for him to pose and feed :cool:Seasoned butt shooter!

Cigaritis wong
31-Jul-2007, 10:39 PM
So Singapore leh! :bsmile:

Seasoned butt shooter!

Aiyah..learnt from u 1 mah..hehe

Common Mime
31-Jul-2007, 10:41 PM
Aiyah..learnt from u 1 mah..heheYou mean the li leh lah loh ah? ya lah!

Cigaritis wong
03-Aug-2007, 05:13 PM
Is this a blue spotted crow?

Cigaritis wong
03-Aug-2007, 05:28 PM
Other species found: Malayan Lascar, Autumn Leaf, Malayan Sunbeam, Blue Jay, Bamboo Bush brown. Also saw what I think is a sikkima, the malayan, which looks like a common hedge blue but much smaller. But no pic :-(

Cigaritis wong
03-Aug-2007, 05:36 PM
ID need for the sergeant. Is it studded sergeant? :hmmm:

Painted Jezebel
03-Aug-2007, 07:19 PM
Firstly, yes, it is a Studded Sargeant.

Secondly, your Euploea species. Initially I thought it was Euploea core graminifera, until I realised that it is not found as far South as Singapore. After reading up in C&P4 and the differences of your Singapore subspecies from that found here, I feel safe in saying that you are right, in which case, it is a very good find indeed. The only other possibility was E. crameri bremeri, but the number of apical spots go against it.

Peacock Royal
03-Aug-2007, 07:53 PM
Hardworking, Wong !
Wah, some rare species that I have not shot before. Well done.:thumbsup:

Commander
03-Aug-2007, 08:23 PM
The Crow is a Blue Spotted Crow (Euploea midamus singapura). It's unique to the southern part of Malaysia and in particular, Singapore (which explains its subspecies name.)

Cigaritis wong
03-Aug-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanx for the ID, guys! Me not hardworking lar....just a spur of a moment kind and also quite free nowadays :whistle: So who is going there tomolo..kekeke

Cruiser
03-Aug-2007, 09:45 PM
Wah, looks like everybody will be rushing to the new hunting ground tomorrow :cheers:

Cigaritis wong
03-Aug-2007, 09:53 PM
For those going, my advice is bring sunblock, wear cheap slippers/shoes, wear jeans, and if possible get a elbow guard or something, canvas sheet and also some of ur formula 'B', i haven't tried this though.

But pls do not hold high hopes of getting plenty of puddlers. Only my 1st trip there was a good one. The other 2 is quite pathetic. Wonder why :hmmm:

Common Mime
03-Aug-2007, 11:18 PM
May be I can jog there, so far..... hahaha

Nice series, Wong!

Cigaritis wong
04-Aug-2007, 12:29 AM
btw guys, do butterflies puddle before 10am? any criteria for them to puddle? like after few days of rainy spells, then comes a sunny day then they will puddle like never before? can describe the day when u see a lot of puddlers, in terms of timing and weather condition?

Sky Blue
04-Aug-2007, 12:36 AM
thanks wong for the details, ll go there tomorrow.

as when they ll paddle, usually after 10, under the sun.

Cigaritis wong
04-Aug-2007, 12:38 AM
i'll be there too...if not raining tomolo morning.

Sky Blue
04-Aug-2007, 12:49 AM
like that can I meet up with u first some where? just worry that I can't find the place. sms me @ 9 7 4 2 4 3 0 4

Cigaritis wong
04-Aug-2007, 08:19 AM
Weather is good to go ~ anyone else wanna go? after 10am

Common Mime
04-Aug-2007, 10:08 AM
Enjoy yourselves, guys!

Cigaritis wong
04-Aug-2007, 05:11 PM
very little butt activity, only managed to shoot 16 frames...wtfish :bsmile:
but quite pleased with the common tit, nv seen one puddling b4.
btw, can anyone confirm if that is a common line blue female?

Peacock Royal
04-Aug-2007, 05:16 PM
You are fast.
BG of Common Tit is nice, better than mine.:thumbsup:

Cigaritis wong
04-Aug-2007, 05:22 PM
You are fast.
BG of Common Tit is nice, better than mine.:thumbsup:

aiyer..how different can it be..all brown brown sand :prrr: hopefully, it will be fruitful for those going tomolo, if any :cheers:

zeek10d
07-Aug-2007, 08:42 PM
Very tempted by all the nice butt photos you all took:thumbsup: This place is go alone dangerous or not?

Sky Blue
07-Aug-2007, 10:21 PM
btw, can anyone confirm if that is a common line blue female?No, should be a male. Although the specimen looks faded but I can't see any black spot on the upperside hindwings (tonal area).

Cigaritis wong
07-Aug-2007, 10:23 PM
Very tempted by all the nice butt photos you all took:thumbsup: This place is go alone dangerous or not?

I think quite ok lar. If rain, got shelter underneath the flyover. It's actually along beluakar mountain biking track, opened to public. If travel by public transport, alight at pending LRT station, no need to cross road and take bus 966.

zeek10d
07-Aug-2007, 10:32 PM
I think quite ok lar. If rain, got shelter underneath the flyover. It's actually along beluakar mountain biking track, opened to public. If travel by public transport, alight at pending LRT station, no need to cross road and take bus 966.

Thanks for the reply. :cheers:

Cigaritis wong
11-Aug-2007, 09:55 PM
Add on another 2 lycaenids found on 09/08, common line blue and elbowed pierrot. Also found a common bluebottle which I think is the easiest subject to shoot when it is puddling.

Commander
11-Aug-2007, 10:00 PM
Nice shots, Wong. Looks like your species count went up rapidly after you discovered your spa! :cheers:

Cigaritis wong
11-Aug-2007, 10:04 PM
It sure did~! Easier to wait for them to come rather than hunting high and low with no fruitful results. But activity nowadays seems to be a huge contrast to when I first discovered it :hmmm:

Peacock Royal
11-Aug-2007, 10:13 PM
Wah, lovely shots. Like your EP shot most.:thumbsup:

Cigaritis wong
11-Aug-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks, but I find the EP not very pristine. Hope next time got some more.

Cigaritis wong
16-Aug-2007, 01:41 AM
finally nailed this elusive fella :)

Peacock Royal
16-Aug-2007, 08:03 AM
Like your 2nd shot.
Shot at the same place ? A +1 for you ? :cheers:

richardlbong
16-Aug-2007, 08:57 AM
Congrats Wong on the +1. Very prestine specimen, and well taken shots.
Richard

Cigaritis wong
16-Aug-2007, 02:39 PM
Yup..same location but underneath the flyover, not in the sun. Butt activity there is dwindling, I think it's gotta do with a 'perfect day' that all butts come out and play. Not even formula 'B' and sunshine day can attract them.

Sky Blue
16-Aug-2007, 05:40 PM
Excellence shots Wong !! You even not using macro lens like us. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Uploaded most of yr shots into our checklist !!

Sky Blue
16-Aug-2007, 06:11 PM
...Unfortunately, I have no photos of the female Malayan Eggfly to use as a reference...Les & Wong, just in case you hv got the ID (post #6), yes it's Malayan Eggfly. Both the upperside & underside matched what we have in the checklist (http://www.b-pals.com/butts/spc_photo.php?spc_id=78&img_list_id=77), Chee Meng (Sum) even have the upperside shots :)

Cigaritis wong
16-Aug-2007, 07:13 PM
Excellence shots Wong !! You even not using macro lens like us. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Uploaded most of yr shots into our checklist !!

hehe...i don't think i'm able to handhold a heavy macro lens like u guys ;P

anyway, here are some more taken yesterday. surprised to find i got a pointed ciliate instead of a ciliate blue when i got home.

Cigaritis wong
16-Aug-2007, 07:19 PM
A common caerulean with a bit of pale blue underside shown. The malayan and common hedge blue look almost similar, except that when in flight, the malayan is dull brown, whilst the CHB is shiny dark blue. Size of the malayan is also 2 times smaller, might be easily mistaken for a tailess line blue.

Painted Jezebel
16-Aug-2007, 09:45 PM
Les & Wong, just in case you hv got the ID (post #6), yes it's Malayan Eggfly. Both the upperside & underside matched what we have in the checklist (http://www.b-pals.com/butts/spc_photo.php?spc_id=78&img_list_id=77), Chee Meng (Sum) even have the upperside shots :)

Thanks, but I knew it was a Malayan Eggfly, it was the sex that I was not sure about. Can you confirn its a female?

Sky Blue
16-Aug-2007, 10:13 PM
To differentiate both The Malayan & Common Hedge Blue, the most easier way is looks at the circled area. Common Hedge Blue is very "clean".

Sky Blue
16-Aug-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks, but I knew it was a Malayan Eggfly, it was the sex that I was not sure about. Can you confirn its a female?I think only Khew can tell the different by checking his "museum", but don't think female will puddle, otherwise this will be new records ;-)

Cigaritis wong
16-Aug-2007, 10:34 PM
I think only Khew can tell the different by checking his "museum", but don't think female will puddle, otherwise this will be new records ;-)

It doesn't appear to be puddling, resting I think. If it's a male, shdn't it join in too?

Cigaritis wong
16-Aug-2007, 10:41 PM
To differentiate both The Malayan & Common Hedge Blue, the most easier way is looks at the circled area. Common Hedge Blue is very "clean".

In the field cannot look so closely wor, the tails are even too small to be seen. Best way is don't dismiss small-sized butts as tailess line blue :prrr:

Cigaritis wong
31-Aug-2007, 04:34 PM
310807: Five-Bar Swordtail and Commander (+1, thought is just a baron)

It finally came, not one but two! Woohoo :whistle:

Cigaritis wong
31-Aug-2007, 04:59 PM
Some miscellaneous records:

(1) Blue Jay upperside
(2) Skipper puddling
(3) Skink eats butterfly? Dunno, cuz I scare it away
(6) Tiger beetle threesome

The Monarch
31-Aug-2007, 06:52 PM
(6) Tiger beetle threesome

OMGOSH!!!!!! :what:

Painted Jezebel
31-Aug-2007, 07:47 PM
I particularly like the Prosotas nora superdates shot. The photos where the butts are kind enough to show just a little bit of their contrasting forewings always seem, to me, more interesting. They are what I like to call 'Petticoat Shots'.:grin2:

Commander
31-Aug-2007, 10:37 PM
OMGOSH!!!!!! :what:

That should make it to the latest XXXX movie. :bsmile:

Cigaritis wong
31-Aug-2007, 10:48 PM
Sorry for the long and messy thread here. I think I have covered quite a number of interesting species in this particular location. Just when I thought this place is 'condemned', it showed up with nice surprises today. Based on my limited experiences, only about 6 to 7 trips there, the best timing would be from 10.30am till 1.30pm. From my observation, if it's been raining throughout the whole day the day before, the following fair weather day could be a good day for puddlers.

Quite pleased that I have gotten some acceptable 5-bar shots. With these, any new sightings will be covered in another thread :cheers:

Cigaritis wong
31-Aug-2007, 10:52 PM
That should make it to the latest XXXX movie. :bsmile:

U can see the middle one which is a male, holding up its hands. Either screaming in delight or anguish :bsmile:

Commander
31-Aug-2007, 11:00 PM
U can see the middle one which is a male, holding up its hands. Either screaming in delight or anguish :bsmile:

:omg: You're right... pleasurable pain, they call it...

Chequered Lancer
29-Apr-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow!that's amazing!lovely collection!May I know the exact location?:thinking:

Silverstreak
30-Apr-2012, 12:45 AM
Jerome,

I believe Wong shot it at his Spa , the Wong's Spa , but it is not there any more, the ground was overwhelmed and people dirty the location with all sorts of rubbish and soon after they stopped puddling there.........and that is one of the reason we do not reveal exact location in the open, as there are lurkers.

:cheers: