PDA

View Full Version : Last for a while?

Painted Jezebel
30-Jun-2007, 07:16 PM
I've had an accident with my camera and it is now refusing to work. I slipped on some boulders by a waterfall and fell in, with my camera which is water laden:cry: :cry: :cry: . I'm hoping it will dry out and then work again shortly. However, before the accident, I managed a few shots. Unfortunately, afterwards, I had my first ever opportunity to get the upperside of Papilio palinurus and some other interesting species. Typical!!! I'm sure the butts have some sixth sense and only come out when I cant shoot them.:mad2:

Anyway, todays lot from Samui:
1) At last the upperside of Curetis bulis stigmata (male) - Bright Sunbeam
2) ditto for Zeltus amasa maximininius (male) - Fluffy Tit
3) A +1 for me (No 225) :gbounce: Discophora sondaica despoliata (male) - Common Duffer
4) I've shown this before, but this is clearer, Nacaduba augusta kerriana (male) - White Lineblue.

Other +1 for me, Ixias pyrene verna:jumjoy: - Yellow Orange Tip (No 226). Thought I had No 227, but it turned out to be the female of the Saturn (Zeuxidia amethysta amethysta), an understandable mistake, I think. I have, therefore missed my June target of 230:cry: . July's target, 250.

Les

richardlbong
30-Jun-2007, 07:33 PM
Good capture, Les. The Nacaduba is a keeper, as good as any captured by cameras that cost many times more than your digital box brownie.
Richard

Painted Jezebel
30-Jun-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks Richard, I even spelt it right without having to think about it! Yes, I was rather pleased with that one, for once.

Les

Commander
01-Jul-2007, 12:01 AM
226 is already a good list, considering the short time-frame that you had so far.

Most electronic stuff tend to short-circuit when dunked in water. Not too optimistic that your Box Brownie is going to work any more. Another reason for you to come down south to get your new camera. :)

Sky Blue
01-Jul-2007, 10:59 AM
camera not working is just small thing as long as you're save & can continue the field work :)

Painted Jezebel
01-Jul-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm absolutely fine, thank you very much, it was only a small waterfall, and not at all steep. Anyway, I went to a BIG waterfall today and rewarded myself with +2. Hasora badra badra (supposedly common) and Arhopala selta selta (rare). However, it was very frustrating, as all the species I have been trying to photo came out and posed, including Charaxes bernadus crepax, which is hard enough to see at thye best of times, it flies so fast, and Arhopala asinarus tonguva. Ah well, you'll just have to be patient to see those.

Les

Silverstreak
02-Jul-2007, 12:32 AM
Les ,

If your browny box does'nt work.... it means you will go without a camera till September .

Alternately, you might consider a second hand DSLR , like a used Canon 20D , that will serve you in the interim and as a backup syetem when you acquire your setup.

There are a number of these, both Canon and Nikon at CS Buy/Sell section (http://forums.clubsnap.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20) for your reference.

We can help arrange for it to be shipped to you.....or... hmm that might be a good excuse to go to Koh Samui.:bsmile:

Painted Jezebel
02-Jul-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks very much indeed for the info, Sunny. In fact it would not be until at least November, as my VISAs do not allow me to exit the country until then.

I've had a look at that site, and was somewhat overwhelmed, as I really know nothing about photographic equipment. I saw several Nikon D70s and a Canon 350 available, but do not know if they are good value or not. I do not really want to spend more than S$1000 for secondhand. I am a bit wary about buying over the internet, as I like to 'test drive' first, to make sure it does what I want it to do. A high zoom facility is essential, (box brownie was only X3) to allow me to capture butts from a short distance away, as, in the jungle, many butts are very skittish, and it is impossible to get close in the undergrowth without causing a disturbance.

Any assistance you could give me would be MOST appreciated.

Les

Commander
02-Jul-2007, 09:12 AM
Sounds like Richard's combo will be quite suitable for you. I'll let Richard explain to you about his Canon DSLR and the zoom lens. :)

zac08
02-Jul-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks very much indeed for the info, Sunny. In fact it would not be until at least November, as my VISAs do not allow me to exit the country until then.

I've had a look at that site, and was somewhat overwhelmed, as I really know nothing about photographic equipment. I saw several Nikon D70s and a Canon 350 available, but do not know if they are good value or not. I do not really want to spend more than S$1000 for secondhand. I am a bit wary about buying over the internet, as I like to 'test drive' first, to make sure it does what I want it to do. A high zoom facility is essential, (box brownie was only X3) to allow me to capture butts from a short distance away, as, in the jungle, many butts are very skittish, and it is impossible to get close in the undergrowth without causing a disturbance.

Any assistance you could give me would be MOST appreciated.

Les

What's your budget like? $1000 inclusive of the lenses? That'd be kinda difficult. Just for the bodies, mebbe.

richardlbong
03-Jul-2007, 09:06 AM
Hi Les, I shoot with Canon 300d, 350d and now 30d with 70-300mm lenses. With the Canon 70-300mm IS I need to add extension tubes or the Canon 500D close-up filters to shoot within 1.5 metres to get a 1:2 or better magnification. With the Tamron and Sigma lenses of the same zoom specs, they have switches that allow focusing from around 50cm for a 1:2 magnification. I still have a spare 350d and the Tamron 70-300mm lens as well as a Sigma 500 Super DG flash with a Stefon omnibounce head, which I'm will to let go for S$1200 if you are interested.
Richard