PDA

View Full Version : You may like these butts

Painted Jezebel
21-Jun-2007, 06:31 PM
Not a bad day on Samui, 1 new species for my list, Callenya lenya lenya (Long-Winged Hedge Blue) and a couple of photos of species I've found very difficult to pin down.

1) Lamproptera meges virescens (Green Gragontail). This little ****** never stopped beating its forewings, and if I could have got any lower, I'd have needed to have a snorkel! (A water pipe had burst by the track and the path was nearly completely swamped.)
2) Parthenos sylvia lilacinus (Clipper). This species vary rarely stops to rest, I've been chasing this one for months.

3) a Eurema sp. Tried using the key in C&P4, but somehow, it just does not seem to fit. I know someone here will be able to ID it. I thought, originally E. simulatrix tecmessa, but not so sure now.

Finally, I saw a very small Crow (Euploea) species (about the size of Acreae violae). Underside brown, hindwings with a row of tiny white marginal spots, and inside that a row of tiny blue spots. Underside forewing with a single row of tiny white spots. Upperside, Dark brown, forewing unmarked, hindwing, single row of tiny white spots. Any ideas? It flew off before I could take any photos, sorry!

Les

Silverstreak
21-Jun-2007, 07:12 PM
Wish I was there....:what: Dragon tail !

I dun mind wearing scuba gear to shoot it if necessary.:bsmile:

Painted Jezebel
21-Jun-2007, 07:28 PM
Dragontails love running water, and we are blessed over here with a large number of waterfalls, including my favourite, Hin Lad, which is one of my survey sites. You can drive to the base of the falls and then you have the 40 minute uphill walk through virgin forest up to the top.:sweat: Photos attached to whet your appetite.

Les

Peacock Royal
21-Jun-2007, 07:49 PM
Nice shots there especially the Eurema.
Wish to shoot the Dragon Tail one day.

richardlbong
21-Jun-2007, 08:29 PM
Love to shoot the Dragontail. The Eurema shot looks great. Comparable to those shot from a DSLR.
Richard

Painted Jezebel
21-Jun-2007, 09:03 PM
I thought the Dragontail might get your juices flowing! It's just a shame none of the pics of that butt came out as sharp as the Eurema, but, although I see them regularly, I very rarely have the chance to take photos of them, so I may have rushed.:nono:

Les

richardlbong
21-Jun-2007, 09:54 PM
From what I see I think you are much closer to the Eurema than you are with the dragontail which I think could have been heavily cropped.
Richard

Painted Jezebel
21-Jun-2007, 10:40 PM
Quite right, Richard. Once I had got 'safe' shots of the Dragontail from a bit of a distance, I tried to get (or was it swim?) closer, but the damn thing flew off. The Eurema was much more accomodating.

Les
Now 219

Sky Blue
22-Jun-2007, 12:14 AM
Good one, you keep this forum more alive with something that we not found here day to day :-)

atronox
30-Jun-2008, 05:28 PM
The Eurema looks like andersonii, one cell spot.

Painted Jezebel
30-Jun-2008, 07:19 PM
The Eurema looks like andersonii, one cell spot.

I understand what you are saying, but there is one problem. This specimen does not show the slightest trace of a forewing subapical patch. All the Eurema andersonii specimens I've seen here have it, (very faint but noticeable). I think the hindwing may be obscuring an additional spot (or two).

atronox
30-Jun-2008, 11:42 PM
I understand what you are saying, but there is one problem. This specimen does not show the slightest trace of a forewing subapical patch. All the Eurema andersonii specimens I've seen here have it, (very faint but noticeable). I think the hindwing may be obscuring an additional spot (or two). Then i cn't say anymore, except maybe, does E. lacteola occur in Samui?