PDA

View Full Version : Some more 'Not down your way'

Painted Jezebel
19-Jun-2007, 09:04 PM
Another good day, photo wise. I had hoped to show photos of Arhopala democritus democritus, as it is a v ery distinctive and beautiful member of the genus, but all 12! photos ended up out of focus! I'll try again another day.

1) Vindula erota erota- Male (Common Cruiser)
2) Kaniska canace perakana - Male (Blue Admiral)
3) Bassarona teuta ssp (under review) - Male - (Banded Marquis). A distant shot as it would not allow me with 5 yards!
4) Surendra quercetorum quercetorum - Male (Common Acacia Blue)
5) Tagiades parra naxox - Male (Straight Snow Flat)
6) Calaenorrhinus aurivattatus cameroni - Male (Dark Yellow-Banded Flat)

I hope you like these species found not that far away from you.

Les

Painted Jezebel
19-Jun-2007, 09:07 PM
The last three.

richardlbong
20-Jun-2007, 08:42 AM
Wow these make me drool. We have a similiar looking Cruiser and Arcacia Blue.
Your shot of the Arcacia Blue is very good. All you need is some levelling and sharpening on the PS using auto level and USM and you got a keeper. Box Brownie can also take good pictures once you get familiar with it.
Richard

Painted Jezebel
20-Jun-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks Richard, I am hoping that some of these photos may bring a desire from members to visit, and see some new species!

My Box Brownie is nearly 10 years old now, so practically prehistoric! I use Adobe Photoshop 7.0 (Is that PS in your post?) for the little processing I do (colour, brightness). What does 'Levelling' mean, and what is USM (apart from the airline abbreviation for Koh Samui believe it or not!)?

Les

richardlbong
20-Jun-2007, 10:37 AM
Les, level is a tool that adjust the brightness and contrast of the picture. Try using the Auto Level command and this will adjust automatically the brightness and contrast of the shot and also get rid of the color cast. The Auto Contrast does the same but retains the color cast. And the Auto Color also do the same thing but neutralize the color cast. Try them all and see which effect is best for the shot. USM is Unsharp Mask which actually sharpened the image via pixels and percentages. No fix rule here. Normally I used 1 pixel and about 100%, but this vary from images to images. This command is in the Filter menu.
Richard

Painted Jezebel
20-Jun-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks Richard, I'll practice on these this afternoon. I've not used the 'auto' functions or USM before.

Les