PDA

View Full Version : Is it a Malayan Lascar?

Painted Jezebel
07-Jun-2007, 10:24 PM
On the Clubsnap website, which I was checking for the C. thyodamus thread, I hoticed a pic by Ericpooi, which he says is a Malayan Lascar. To my mind the forewing markings are wrong. Checking C&P4, the closest I could find was Pantoporia aurelia aurelia. What do you guys think? (Sorry, don't know how to reproduce the pic or link)

Les

richardlbong
07-Jun-2007, 10:31 PM
You're right Les, that should be the Pantoporia hordonia hordonia aka Common Lascar.
Richard

Painted Jezebel
07-Jun-2007, 10:47 PM
Actually, I looked at P. hordonia hordonia, and felt that the upperside orange submarginal line was too wide, hence my thought of P. aurelia.

Les

Commander
08-Jun-2007, 12:18 AM
Guys, it's neither.... see my reply (http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=3130161&postcount=414).

Painted Jezebel
08-Jun-2007, 12:30 AM
What an idiot I am! I completely forgot to look at the Athyma species. Right as always SK.

Les

Commander
08-Jun-2007, 12:41 AM
You're up pretty late tonight, Les. Reading up on C&P4 these days? :)

Painted Jezebel
08-Jun-2007, 12:50 AM
The sister of my late neighbour is going back to Germany tomorrow after the funeral, so she's been over for drinks! Yes, it is well passed my bedtime.:lazy2:
I think I now have all bases covered with C&P4, Pinratana and Ek-Amnuay. Each one has advantages over the others, best descriptions and keys (C&P4), best & most comprehensive photos (Ek-Amnuay) and best distribution details for Thailand (Pinratana).

Goodnight all
Lezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Common Mime
08-Jun-2007, 09:11 AM
comprehensive photos (Ek-Amnuay)I am more interested in this book. ;P

Painted Jezebel
08-Jun-2007, 09:28 AM
Butterflies of Thailand by Pisuth Ek-Amnuay, distributed by Amarin Book Centre Co Ltd, web address http://www.naiin.com. (Cost me c.Baht2000)

One word of warning, the descriptions are poor and unreliable, and distribution details very confusing! But the pics are very good, and more comprehensive, (more undersides, females etc) than C&P4.

Les

Commander
08-Jun-2007, 09:36 AM
Photos are good and useful to complement C&P4.

Engrisch is crappy, as Les said. They could use a good translator in Edition 2 in future.

Painted Jezebel
08-Jun-2007, 09:50 AM
I'd offer myself for the job, except the he does not respond to any emails I send with queries on butts I've found here. Nor does Inayoshi! What is it in Thailand, are they afraid of someone muscling in on their territory?

Les

Commander
08-Jun-2007, 09:55 AM
The local and less-accomplished (as far as the English Language is concerned!) authors tend to shy away from correspondence as far as possible. Unlike the Taiwanese and Hongkongers who can also write in their native Mandarin language, the other authors know that the wider audience for their work comes from the English-speaking world. Hence for example, writing a book totally in Thai or Japanese may have limited circulation, other than hard-core enthusiasts like us who may buy the book for the pictures.

Pity that he hasn't replied to you. He would've had someone who is experienced and passionate enough to bring his work to a higher level. Perhaps Pinratana would be of more help if you wrote to him?

Painted Jezebel
08-Jun-2007, 09:58 AM
I've tried to email The Brothers of St. Gabriel (got address from their website), but my mails just get returned. Do you know of an up date email address.

Les

Commander
08-Jun-2007, 10:07 AM
Nope. Haven't tried communicating with any Thai experts before. I'm quite happy with one super-guru in Malaysia. :)