PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Moth for ID

Leopard Lacewing
18-May-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

Like to share this moth, captured this moth at Alexandra Butterfly Trail in Singapore.

Anyone can advice the ID? Many thanks. ;P

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/photoexpress/Macro/CS_DSC_6484.jpg

Cheers!

Commander
18-May-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi there. Welcome to ButterflyCircle with your first post. :cheers:

Here's another pic (http://b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4882)of the moth, also taken at AH.

Leopard Lacewing
18-May-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi there. Welcome to ButterflyCircle with your first post. :cheers:

Here's another pic (http://b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4882)of the moth, also taken at AH.

Hi Commander,

Got it... Thanks for the ID... :) Need your advice in future. :cool:

Cheers!

atronox
14-Aug-2007, 12:27 AM
Histia sp.

Commander
28-Aug-2007, 12:10 PM
Histia sp.

Aaron, you seem to be quite well-read for a 13 year old, so kudos to you for that. However, there are a lot of things that you still don't know, and postings like the above, implying some sort of confident "authoritative knowledge" will only bring you contempt and loss of credibility - particularly so when your ID is wrong.

Some of the senior members here especially Dr Kendrick in this Moth SubForum, have far greater breadth and depth of experience and many years of research in Heterocera than you can hope to learn from a few books. And yet, each experienced member here shows a lot more humility in their dispensations of what they think the IDs of the species posted on our forums.

I have purposely kept silent on quite a few of your erroneous IDs as I wanted to see if you really knew your stuff. Whilst you are indeed knowledgeable in general aspects from your reading and literature research, you are also making very fundamental mistakes in IDs of some common species as well.

If you want to learn and also earn some respect within this community, I suggest that you take a step back and quote your references and background research when you name an ID so "confidently". For example, in this thread, I had, in post #2, already referred the thread-starter to some previous shots which have been ID'ed, and in post #3, the thread-starter had acknowledged the ID of the moth. And yet, you ignored the two previous posts and just concluded that this is a Histia sp without even verifying the information in the two previous posts.

Some of the members here have been harsher to you than normal, as they may not be so tolerant of your rather arrogant confidence. Perhaps you do not mean it to be so, but in our digital world, sometimes curt and over-concise remarks tend to reflect a certain amount of arrogance under these circumstances - and more so when you ID'ed some species wrongly.

Now that you have read the many posts here, and should be familiar with the level of etiquette and respect that the group has for the subject matter and also towards each other, I trust you now understand why there is some hostility towards your posts.

As Soon Chye mentioned in an earlier post, we would certainly like to meet up with someone like you so that we can share information in the right manner.

By the way, your ID here of Histia sp. is wrong. What has been shot here is a specimen of Pompelon marginata which is a common Cinnamon feeder. Some of us have even bred the species from caterpillar to eclosion. The Histia sp (or commonly referred to as Scarlet Bodied Burnet Moths from the family Zygaenidae) look quite similar to what is posted here, but this is one instance where you are wrong on the ID.

atronox
29-Aug-2007, 12:26 AM
Aaron, you seem to be quite well-read for a 13 year old, so kudos to you for that. However, there are a lot of things that you still don't know, and postings like the above, implying some sort of confident "authoritative knowledge" will only bring you contempt and loss of credibility - particularly so when your ID is wrong.

Some of the senior members here especially Dr Kendrick in this Moth SubForum, have far greater breadth and depth of experience and many years of research in Heterocera than you can hope to learn from a few books. And yet, each experienced member here shows a lot more humility in their dispensations of what they think the IDs of the species posted on our forums.

I have purposely kept silent on quite a few of your erroneous IDs as I wanted to see if you really knew your stuff. Whilst you are indeed knowledgeable in general aspects from your reading and literature research, you are also making very fundamental mistakes in IDs of some common species as well.

If you want to learn and also earn some respect within this community, I suggest that you take a step back and quote your references and background research when you name an ID so "confidently". For example, in this thread, I had, in post #2, already referred the thread-starter to some previous shots which have been ID'ed, and in post #3, the thread-starter had acknowledged the ID of the moth. And yet, you ignored the two previous posts and just concluded that this is a Histia sp without even verifying the information in the two previous posts.

Some of the members here have been harsher to you than normal, as they may not be so tolerant of your rather arrogant confidence. Perhaps you do not mean it to be so, but in our digital world, sometimes curt and over-concise remarks tend to reflect a certain amount of arrogance under these circumstances - and more so when you ID'ed some species wrongly.

Now that you have read the many posts here, and should be familiar with the level of etiquette and respect that the group has for the subject matter and also towards each other, I trust you now understand why there is some hostility towards your posts.

As Soon Chye mentioned in an earlier post, we would certainly like to meet up with someone like you so that we can share information in the right manner.

By the way, your ID here of Histia sp. is wrong. What has been shot here is a specimen of Pompelon marginata which is a common Cinnamon feeder. Some of us have even bred the species from caterpillar to eclosion. The Histia sp (or commonly referred to as Scarlet Bodied Burnet Moths from the family Zygaenidae) look quite similar to what is posted here, but this is one instance where you are wrong on the ID. Thanks for correcting me and sorry for being too cocky. Did not see the first few posts.

Commander
29-Aug-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks for correcting me and sorry for being too cocky. Did not see the first few posts.

Thanks Aaron. I guess you started off on the wrong foot here, cos most of the forum members here are working adults (and a few retirees who have "eaten more salt than we have eaten rice") and tend to take the subject more seriously than some other forums.

Let's start all over again, and if you're willing to learn along with the rest of us, please join us on our outings. I can see that you've contacted Soon Chye on the other post, so let's move on from there. I'm sure everyone here would like to also meet you, as you're very knowledgeable for a 13 year old! :)