PDA

View Full Version : Two butts from BTNR

horace2264
17-May-2007, 08:58 PM
A short stroll along the earlier stretch of mountain biking trail (aborted by the rain) yielded two butts.

Pic 1: Common Duffer
Pic 2: Banded Swallowtail

Horace

Commander
17-May-2007, 09:43 PM
Wow... two nice ones. Common Duffer's not that common here, and is considered either vulnerable or endangered. So you did well to even get such a nice shot of it.

Do look out for the cats... another bamboo feeder, so there should be a bamboo clump (the large leaf variety) nearby.

Cruiser
17-May-2007, 10:27 PM
Concur with Khew, nice shots.

Khew- What's the definition of uncommon, rare, vulnerable or endangered, thks in advance :)

Common Mime
17-May-2007, 11:01 PM
Nice shots, Horace. Find the C. Duffer over-sharperned.

Peacock Royal
17-May-2007, 11:11 PM
Wah, another rare one shot by you. The last time I saw the Common Duffer was at Ubin.
Well done.

Commander
17-May-2007, 11:26 PM
Khew- What's the definition of uncommon, rare, vulnerable or endangered, thks in advance :)

Based on the IUCN (http://www.iucn.org/) (The World Conservation Union) convention, there are 4 categories - Vulnerable, Endangered, Critically Endangered and Nationally Extinct. A 5th category, Data Deficient, is added for those which have dubious existence or needs revalidation.

I've just submitted my write up for the new Singapore Red Data Book 2007 and I'll send you guys the papers on the IUCN later if you're interested to read up on that.

horace2264
18-May-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks, Khew, Ben Jin, Chee Ming and Federick.

I was actually planning to go Ubin for adding Common Duffer (CD) to my collection, but today's record shot of this species at BTNR makes this unnecessary.

Khew, Yes, there was a large bamboo clump nearby, and the leaves were quite large (about 3-4cm in width). There were about three large butts sighted at this site just after the first steep down-and-up slope.

Chee Ming, I did quite a bit of denoising and sharpening of the CD shot in CS2, and might have overdone the USM part. The shot was taken under canopy, and under rain-cloud covered sky, and the settings used were ISO400, 1/20 and f4.5. Luckily the butt allowed me to fire about ten-odd shots at these settings, and all but one CMI.

Horace

Commander
18-May-2007, 12:26 AM
Khew, Yes, there was a large bamboo clump nearby, and the leaves were quite large (about 3-4cm in width). There were about three large butts sighted at this site just after the first steep down-and-up slope.

Oh... that place. My favourite place for nailing the Banded Demon.

Check out the leaves there. Hopefully can still catch one or two cats or the next generation.

horace2264
18-May-2007, 11:16 AM
Check out the leaves there. Hopefully can still catch one or two cats or the next generation.

I did check out the leaves near the trail. There were some used leaf shelters, but no cats nor eggs yet. Need to again next time.

BTW I find Banded Demon much more common at the stretch of trail nearest to the Rail Mall.

Horace

Commander
18-May-2007, 02:38 PM
The cats of the Common Duffer are big, hairy and do not build leaf shelters like the Hesperiidae do. I believe Soon Chye had some shots of the cat taken at Endau Rompin some time ago.

horace2264
18-May-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks, Khew for the info on cats of Common Duffer. I looked up SC's shot of the cat in his earlier posting, and also found that C&P4 has a picture of the last instar in plate 63 fig. 21. Now if I see the cat in the field, I will not mistake it for a moth cat.

Horace