View Full Version : Moth Checklist??

Silverstreak
06-May-2007, 08:52 PM
:thinking: Maybe we should start thinking about a moth checklist?;P

If not all the ID done will be forgotten.:whistle:

Peacock Royal
06-May-2007, 10:08 PM
Agree with Sunny.
I have now a few moth shots and some of the species I believe have been posted here before. But lazy (is time consuming also ) to look for the id from the old threads.

Painted Jezebel
07-May-2007, 06:43 AM
May I just add a couple of words of caution here.

Firstly, whilst you have c270 species of butts, there must be a minimum of 3000 moth species, and I think I am underestimating.

Secondly, by your own admitions, there are not many moth officianados here, and think of the trouble they would be put to if everyone posted their moth photos for identification.

You could limit yourselves to day flying moths only, which would reduce the numbers significantly, but then, how would you tell if as moth was a truly day flying species, or simply disturbed, and had taken flight after being disturbed?

Personally, I feel that at the moment, your observations would be better used to identifying the early stages of the butts, and from what I've seen, you already have a very good start on this one. It would be very useful if the life stages photos could be added to the individual species info pages.

A Moth site would be good, but I think it would be better to be separated from this one. There are moth people out there who would not come to this site as it butterfly orientated. You could have a linked sister site.

Just as few comments from a very recent member, which I hope you will find constructive, not obstructive.

Les
Delias Rule, OK

Common Mime
03-Jun-2007, 08:59 PM
How about a sticky thread for members to post their moth photo if they require the expert to ID the moth for them?