PDA

View Full Version : new sub-species of Painted Jezebel

Sky Blue
30-Apr-2007, 11:56 PM
Do take extra note when you see Painted Jezebel the next time, someone reported recently (NSS) that Delias hyparete hyparete was sighted.

Silverstreak
01-May-2007, 12:32 AM
Sighted after they did a writeup on the Indonesian [Delias hyparete hyparete?? :whistle:

;-)

I want to do a writeup on the Black Rajah!!:bsmile:

Commander
01-May-2007, 12:54 AM
Yup... saw that on their website. Looks like someone has been busy 'importing' Indonesian/Bornean subspecies over here? First that P. aristolochiae antiphus, then this Delias. :thinking:

So who's arguing that the Leopard Lacewing is the Thai subspecies when they've suddenly appeared out of nowhere as well? So are they gonna write about the Bornean subspecies cyane now?

Anyway, we have the world's Delias expert with us here, don't we? :)

Painted Jezebel
01-May-2007, 08:41 AM
Thank you SK for the comment, but I am not an 'expert' ( I don't like that word). There is much I don't know and have to ask other Delias fanatics.

Anyway, re D.h.hyparete. My initial thoughts. Anything is possible, but in this case I doubt it. The nearest D. h. hyparete gets to Singapore is, I think, W. Java (I haven't got my maps with me). It is not found on Sumatra, which would be the natural stepping stone for any expansion of that ssp.

This is most likely either a misidentification, a deliberate introduction or an accidental one. I can accept the first, but if it is either of the latter two then it is regrettable, from the purity of ssp. point of view. From my observations on Koh Samui, where I think I have found both D.h. metarete and D. h. indica, I believe that the subspecies can interbreed where they meet and produce intermediate forms. If this is the case, I will have much work to do to see if these intermediates are fertile or not.

My feeling is, don't go out with the intention to finding D. h. hyparete, you may have a VERY long wait.

Could someone tell me what NSS is. I need to see the paper in which this observation was published.

Les
Delias Rule, OK (but not D.h.hyparete)

Common Mime
01-May-2007, 08:52 AM
Les,

Good morning to you and below links are for your info.

http://www.nss.org.sg/groups_butterfly.html

http://butterfly.nss.org.sg/home/index.html

Painted Jezebel
01-May-2007, 09:26 AM
Thank you for the links. I have now taken the opportunity to look at the article. It is NOT saying that the butterfly was found in Singapore, the photograph seems to have been taken to show comparison between H. h. hyparete and D.h. metarete. The article specifically says that the butterfly was shot in Indonesia and that D. h. metarete is the subspecies found in Singapore, which is quite natural.

Les
Delias Rule, OK

Commander
01-May-2007, 10:06 AM
Thank you SK for the comment, but I am not an 'expert' ( I don't like that word). There is much I don't know and have to ask other Delias fanatics.

Ok... a foremost authority on Delias then. Would that be better? :)

Thank you for the links. I have now taken the opportunity to look at the article. It is NOT saying that the butterfly was found in Singapore, the photograph seems to have been taken to show comparison between H. h. hyparete and D.h. metarete. The article specifically says that the butterfly was shot in Indonesia and that D. h. metarete is the subspecies found in Singapore, which is quite natural.

Actually, the article didn't specifically say that the butterfly was shot in Indonesia, but leaves some vagueness about it. Not sure where SC heard/read about it, so let's just leave it at that. From our own experience, it's just that there have been cases of people importing pupae from overseas and releasing the adult butterflies here in Singapore - something that is debatable, as far as purist environmentalists are concerned.

Painted Jezebel
01-May-2007, 11:23 AM
I do not think 'debatable' is a word I would use in this respect. Irresponsible is how I would describe it. As I have posted before, Dryas julia (or iulia as I have been told to call it), is now common on the island. It is definately breeding here, I saw a newly eclosed male only yesterday, and now it will compete for the native passiflora foetida with our own native species such as Cethosia sp. OK, there is plenty around at the moment to accomodate both, but who can say what may happen in the future?

There, my rant is over. I seem to be in a bad mood this morning. Probably due to withdrawal symptons of not having gone butt watching for nearly a week! Weather better today, so I will try and get out and relieve the tension.

Anyway, Happy Labour Day everyone.

Les
Delias Rule, OK

Cigaritis wong
02-May-2007, 02:28 AM
I rem myself saying on somewhere I spotted something like that at Pasir Ris Mangrove area that looks like a sawtooth (jezebel-like) butterfly. But later, I think that that it must be a mistake when I saw something similar when I got it on the camera (http://b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4746).

Now, this brings back my doubts again :hmmm: So confirm the author shot it in SG or Indonesia?

Painted Jezebel
02-May-2007, 07:37 AM
I have read the article again and again, and I have difficulty in reading it in any way other than it was shot in Indonesia. Yes it is vague, but I think the NSS would have made a bit more of a fuss if it had been found in Singapore. The only way to be sure is to contact Mr. Gan, as there is no forum on the site.

Les
Delias Rule, OK

Commander
02-May-2007, 08:28 AM
Let's not bother with "the other side". Such posts were probably meant to create some one-upmanship for NSS, and spawn such debates amongst us.

As Les mentioned, no one said that it was shot in Singapore, so let's not jump to any conclusions.

Thread Closed.