PDA

View Full Version : Which Sphinx?

Painted Jezebel
29-Apr-2007, 11:06 AM
Hopefully one of our moth experts may be able to ID the attached Hawkmoth from Koh Samui, which decided to settle on my mosquito netting one night. It is a rather dull one I'm afraid, and the hindwings are no brighter as far as I could see.

Thanks
Les
Delias Rule, OK

Commander
30-Apr-2007, 09:18 AM
The cats of these moths are often prettier than the adults. Quite a few come with cute doggie tails. Had to got rid of a whole clutch of them recently as unfortunately, they were polishing off an entire pot of my Diffenbachia plant. ;P

Strange that they can eat the most poisonous of plants like Oleander, Nerium, Allamanda and the likes of these, and yet documented literature seems to mention that they're not impalatable to predators. :thinking:

hkmoths
01-May-2007, 11:32 PM
..... It is a rather dull one I'm afraid, and the hindwings are no brighter as far as I could see.

Given the lack of scales left to aid the recognition of any forewing pattern, the helpful comment on the hindwings puts this as Theretra latreillii - the similar T. clotho and T. boisduvali both have dark hindwings.

cheers,

Roger.

Painted Jezebel
02-May-2007, 07:53 AM
Thnks Roger. I though it was looking a bit tired. I've added your website to my favourites list so I may not have to bother you so much in the future. I hope you get the remaining Families up soon, though I appreciate that this must be a mammoth task.

Les
Delias Rule, OK

hkmoths
04-May-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Les.

However, I should be fair to you (and anyone else who might use the HK moths website) that for the time being, there will be very little activity on this site due to my focusing on trying to complete my HK moth book and identifying moths for HKWildlife.net (http://www.hkwildlife.net/). This forum now illustrates upwards of 500 moth species and has an index at http://www.hkwildlife.net/viewthread.php?tid=3585&extra=page%3D1 and is a much better resource now than my own HK moths website!

cheers,

Roger.

Painted Jezebel
05-May-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks Roger, it was nice to see how it looked in better days.

Les
Delias Rule, OK