PDA

View Full Version : Interesting morning in Koh Samui

Painted Jezebel
21-Apr-2007, 09:26 PM
I hope you may be able to help with the id of these two. The first was taken in a group photo, when I was getting a pic of a Caleta roxus pothus, which I needed for my proposed web site. At first I thought 'Oh no, not another xxxxxx Jamides which I can't ID!' When I got the pic home, I noticed the two black spots on the UHW, and thought, Chilades or Catochrysops. However, neither seem to match, particularly when looking at the small amount of upperside that the butt was obliging enough to show me.

The second, species, an Arhopala, just does not match anything in the Thailand books. I am very sorry about the quality. Believe it or not, I took 20 pics, and this is the best one. Yes, I know I need a much better camera, but I have more pressing things to do at the moment, you try emigrating! I recommend you try it only once.

Thanks,

Les

Silverstreak
21-Apr-2007, 10:14 PM
Les,

The first one is a Catochrysops panormus exiguus (Silver Forget-me-not). (http://b-pals.com/butts/spc_photo.php?spc_id=140&img_list_id=426)

From the limited view of the upperside , my best guess is that it is a male as the female upperside markings are more prominent and of darker brown.

I am bad at Arhopala.;P

:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
21-Apr-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks Sunny. I had discounted C. panoramus, as I thought the male upperside was darker (wrong again). Well, that is another one to add to my growing list for the Island.

As for the Arhopala, well who isn't!

Les