PDA

View Full Version : The Quaker & one UFO blue

horace2264
08-Mar-2007, 09:23 PM
Finally got a shot of the Quaker (pic 1) at MNT.

Also encountered a pair (male & female of same species?) of small UFO blue, almost the size of the Lesser Grass Blue, the undersides sporting the typical markings of Nacaduba spp. One has total pale blue upperside (pic 2), and the other one dark brown but with purplish patches (pic 3). Only managed to shoot the underside of the butt with pale blue upperside (pic 4). A check with C&P4 on Nacaduba spp. came back with no matches. Any suggestion?

Horace

Sky Blue
08-Mar-2007, 10:28 PM
high possible that they're Nacaduba berenice icena (Rounded 6-Line Blue)

Silverstreak
08-Mar-2007, 11:31 PM
Horace ,

Just check the blue you shot..... it appears to be Rounded Six Line Blue.

horace2264
08-Mar-2007, 11:55 PM
Horace ,

Just check the blue you shot..... it appears to be Rounded Six Line Blue.

Thanks, Sunny for employing the infra-red technique to check on the underside markings. I agree that there are enough similiarities to suggest that the last pic shown is very likely the Rounded Six Line Blue.

My doubt is still on the one with dark brown and purplish patch on the upperside. C&P4 has upperside pictures of both male and female of the Rounded Six Line Blue, and none matches the pic I took.

Horace

Sky Blue
09-Mar-2007, 08:50 AM
infra-red? should the inverted (to negative) format ;-)

for the upperside pic, at least the male one (1st pic) match, but for the female, the hindwing sub-marginal spot does not seems to be present on the 2nd pic, but illustrated on C&P4 :thinking:

just to double confirm, they're mating pair (pic 2, 3 & 4)?

horace2264
09-Mar-2007, 09:48 PM
i...

just to double confirm, they're mating pair (pic 2, 3 & 4)?
No, they weren't mating but seemed to be hanging around each other, rather than one chasing the other one away from its territory. Still there is a possibility that they are of different species.

As it stands, I don't think there is enough info on the butt in pic 3 for any positive ID. Will keep it in my UFO folder.

Horace

Silverstreak
09-Mar-2007, 09:56 PM
Horace,

I can only confirm that pic #3 is not a Rounded Six Line Blue. I have shot lots of upper wing shot of them both males and females, non of them have the upper wing markings like #3 .... if that is any consolation!;P

Bu have no eye-deer what it is!

horace2264
09-Mar-2007, 10:21 PM
Horace,

I can only confirm that pic #3 is not a Rounded Six Line Blue. I have shot lots of upper wing shot of them both males and females, non of them have the upper wing markings like #3 .... if that is any consolation!;P

Bu have no eye-deer what it is!

:bsmile: Thanks, Sunny for the "consolation". If only I had the time and patience to hang around to take the underside of this UFO!

Horace