PDA

View Full Version : 03-Mar-07 WWW

horace2264
03-Mar-2007, 06:29 PM
Went WWW for butt hunting. Species encountered are Leopard Lacewing, Plain Tiger, Blue Glassy Tiger, Common Caerulean, Dark Caerulean, Pointed Cilate Blue, Three-spot Grass Yellow, Gram Blue, Pea Blue, Malayan Eggfly, Tailless Line Blue, Lemon Emigrant, Orange Emigrant, Common Mormon, Autumn Leaf, Blue Pansy, Chocolate Pansy, Common Palmfly, Tawny Palmfly, Grey Sailor, Palm Bob, Orange Awlet, Potanthus spp., Odina hieroglyphica ortina (pic 1, record shot), UFO Skipper (pic 2), UFO flat (pic 3, Tagiades ultra?). Please help to ID the last two skippers.

Horace

Peacock Royal
03-Mar-2007, 09:13 PM
Long time no see the Odina hieroglyphica ortina. Nice capture.

horace2264
04-Mar-2007, 12:24 AM
Long time no see the Odina hieroglyphica ortina. Nice capture.
I was surprised by the appearance of the Odina when I was going after the other UFO skipper. But this Odina was a very jumpy one, all the close-up shots were ruined by motion blur as it either jerked or took off at my flash/shutter.

Any idea of the IDs of the other two? The UFO skipper (pic 2) actually has 5 spots on the hindwing more easily seen when viewed at an obligue angle.

Horace

Commander
04-Mar-2007, 01:02 AM
I'd say that UFO flat is a Tagiades ultra due to its full set of hindwing marginal spots.

horace2264
04-Mar-2007, 01:10 AM
I'd say that UFO flat is a Tagiades ultra due to its full set of hindwing marginal spots.

Thanks, Khew for confirming the flat's ID. So I got a +2 outing today.
As for the second pic skipper, do you think it is a Pelopidas spp. or a Baoris spp. or a Polytremis spp.?

Horace

Commander
04-Mar-2007, 01:12 AM
Not a Baoris I'd say. The other two genera are the most likely possibilities

horace2264
04-Mar-2007, 01:20 AM
Not a Baoris I'd say. The other two genera are the most likely possibilities

Thanks, Khew for the genus ID.

Horace