PDA

View Full Version : Punggol East - 26 Feb 2007

Common Mime
27-Feb-2007, 11:45 PM
Here I am compiling all of my shots besides the TC and LGB (http://b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4818).

May need experts' comment to improve and ID correction.

Thank you!

Regards
CM

#1. Spindasis syama terana, Black Banded Silverline

#2a. Spindasis lohita senama, Long Banded Silverline

#2b. Spindasis lohita senama, Long Banded Silverline

#2c. Spindasis lohita senama, Long Banded Silverline

#3. Jamides celeno aelianus, Common Caerulean

#4. Orsotriaena medus cinerea, The Nigger

Common Mime
27-Feb-2007, 11:50 PM
#4a. Hypolycaena erylus teatus, Common Tit

#4b. Hypolycaena erylus teatus, Common Tit
Realised that the forewing tip of this orange & white CT is not as pointed as the usual one. Also the third paid of its leg, the balck & white stripe is pretty different too.

#4c. Hypolycaena erylus teatus, Common Tit (orange & white CT)

#5a. Rapala pheretima sequeira, Copper Flash

#5b. Rapala pheretima sequeira, Copper Flash

#5c. Rapala pheretima sequeira, Copper Flash (The hindwing markings are diffrent, possible male and female?)

Common Mime
27-Feb-2007, 11:57 PM
#6a. Prosotas dubiosa lumpura, Tailless Line Blue

#6b. Prosotas dubiosa lumpura, Tailless Line Blue

#7. Mycalesis visala phamis (??)

#8. Danaus genutia genutia, Common Tiger. Do "Tigers" puddle?

#9. Telicota besta bina

#10. UFO

Common Mime
28-Feb-2007, 12:03 AM
#11a. Potanthus omaha omaha, Lesser Dart

#11b. Potanthus omaha omaha, Lesser Dart

#11c. Potanthus omaha omaha, Lesser Dart

#11d. Potanthus omaha omaha, Lesser Dart

#11e. Potanthus omaha omaha, Lesser Dart (Female?)

#11f. Potanthus omaha omaha, Lesser Dart (Male?)

Common Mime
28-Feb-2007, 12:06 AM
#12a. Polytremis lubricans lubricans, Contiguous Swift

#12b. Polytremis lubricans lubricans, Contiguous Swift

#12c. Polytremis lubricans lubricans, Contiguous Swift

#13a. Borbo cinnara cinnara, Formosan Swift

#13b. Borbo cinnara cinnara, Formosan Swift

Common Mime
28-Feb-2007, 12:22 AM
Also sighted the following butterflies at the same location:

1. Common Mormon
2. Autumn Leaf
3. Blue Glassy Tiger
4. Dark Glassy Tiger
5. Leopard
6. Blue Pansy
7. Chocolate Pansy
8. Peacock pansy
9. Three-spot Grass Yellow
10. Common Grass Yellow
11. Mycalesis spp.

Sky Blue
28-Feb-2007, 12:28 AM
wow, long list & good photos there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

so I think the Tailless Line Blue really feed on the young flower of mimosa, previously I also collected one egg from Punggol but somehow get mixed with a small moth, so end up I got a moth...

Commander
28-Feb-2007, 12:58 AM
#7 is quite certainly Dingy Bush Brown (Mycalesis perseus cepheus) due to the dislocated eyespot in space 2 of the hindwing.

Cruiser
28-Feb-2007, 08:25 AM
CM, good harvest :thumbsup: did you also notice there seem to be two type of CF over there, one lighter and the other much darker/brown?

Common Mime
28-Feb-2007, 03:09 PM
wow, long list & good photos there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

so I think the Tailless Line Blue really feed on the young flower of mimosa, previously I also collected one egg from Punggol but somehow get mixed with a small moth, so end up I got a moth...

Thanks SC. The host plant that I encounter for this TLB is not mimosa but something similiar. I will post the photos of the host plant soon.

#7 is quite certainly Dingy Bush Brown (Mycalesis perseus cepheus) due to the dislocated eyespot in space 2 of the hindwing.Thanks Khew for the confirmation. Really difficult to ID.

CM, good harvest :thumbsup: did you also notice there seem to be two type of CF over there, one lighter and the other much darker/brown?Yes, I notice the difference. After some read ups, I may suggest it is due to the female and male. I realise the female is of darker color with extra markings on the forewings underside while the male is duller in color? Or it is the other way round? :hmmm:

I also find out than they are very weak in flying and holding on to the leaf. I saw one drop from the upper leaf to the lower leaf while "walking" and they really drunk while feeding. Can staying still for hours!!!;-)

Bring ladder if possible, I am too short to really shoot them as they always stay on top of the bush while there are ants nest everywhere :sweat: .

Common Mime
28-Feb-2007, 03:15 PM
Just to check if my ID for the Borbo cinnara cinnara, Formosan Swift correct? According to this thread (http://b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4802) started by Horace, he has the same confusion and CP gives the link to a HKLS and a Taiwanese book, there seems to have more spot on the hindwing underside, BUT according to the photo shot by SC in the checklist, (http://b-pals.com/butts/spc_info.php?spc_id=1152), it seems to be the same and I believe SC bred this skipper from egg to adult?

Sky Blue
28-Feb-2007, 11:40 PM
not bred from egg, but collected the 5th instar larva, see thread here (http://www.b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3738)

as mentioned by khew in my thread, the underside marking is not reliable for id. Base on the upperside marking shoot by you, I do think that it's Borbo cinnara cinnara ;-)

btw, can you also send the higher resolution photos of it to me, need it for the book lah

Cigaritis wong
01-Mar-2007, 01:07 AM
That's some harvest there...Been there 3-4 times but have yet to see silverlines, common tit, copper flash, common tigers etc...

Common Mime
01-Mar-2007, 05:21 AM
not bred from egg, but collected the 5th instar larva, see thread here (http://www.b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3738)

as mentioned by khew in my thread, the underside marking is not reliable for id. Base on the upperside marking shoot by you, I do think that it's Borbo cinnara cinnara ;-)

btw, can you also send the higher resolution photos of it to me, need it for the book lahThanks SC. Agree that the upperside & underside markings closely match with the Borbo cinnara cinnara. Please reply my PM.

That's some harvest there...Been there 3-4 times but have yet to see silverlines, common tit, copper flash, common tigers etc...Hi Wong, we can arrange to meet up if you are off on weekend. Apparently, if you are off or free on 26 & 27 Mar, let me know. I will be more happy to bring you there since I am taking leave on 26 & 27 Mar. :cheers:

Cigaritis wong
01-Mar-2007, 08:58 AM
Deal la...but i need to check schedule 1st..dun hv it now.