PDA

View Full Version : 20-Feb-07 CCA

horace2264
20-Feb-2007, 10:14 PM
Went butts hunting in CCA with Khew on this Third Day of Lunar New Year
and managed to achieve record shots of the Blue Jay, Taractrocera ardonia lamia (pics 1, 2 and 3) and E. simulatrix tecmessa. Khew's help was instrumental in getting the +1 for the skipper as I would have dismissed it as another dartlet or bush hopper active in the vicinity.

As Khew was shooting the skippers on the stream bank, I checked up the vegetation at the nearby trail, and shot this Nacaduba species (pic 4) from a distance on the mile-a-minute plant. At that time I thought it was a common or dark caerulean, but now a closer look at home seems to suggest a possible ID of either the Rounded 6-line blue or N. calauria malayica. What do you think?

Horace

Commander
20-Feb-2007, 10:22 PM
Congrats on your +3. :cheers: Nice background on the first shot of T. ardonia. The sandy stream makes some nice orange backgrounds.

The UFO looks closer to a N. calauria. :thinking:

horace2264
20-Feb-2007, 10:29 PM
Congrats on your +3. :cheers: Nice background on the first shot of T. ardonia. The sandy stream makes some nice orange backgrounds.

The UFO looks closer to a N. calauria. :thinking:

Thanks, Khew. It is a pity I couldn't get a nice and sharp shot of the skipper with the other background as you did.

Comparing against the pictures for both Nacaduba species in the plate 37 C&P4 does point to a closer match with N. calauria malayica. But I suppose a definite answer can only come with a view of the upperside.

Horace

Common Mime
21-Feb-2007, 10:47 AM
nice!