PDA

View Full Version : Help, ID please

richardlbong
02-Feb-2007, 07:46 PM
Found this unusual looking snow flat at CCA this morning. Looks like a Common Snow Flat, had only one shot of it with half open wings.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/digimania/Sightings/_MG_5947a.jpg
Appreciate if some one can ID this.
Richard

Commander
05-Feb-2007, 01:00 AM
This is a strange-looking one, Richard. But it's definitely not a Common Snow Flat. It looks freshly eclosed.

My initial take is that, from its very characteristic wing shape, the closest match would be Tapena thwaitesi bornea. However, as the markings on the upperside forewing are different from Tapena. I'd narrow it down to one of the Coladenia spp. but none really match exactly either. :thinking:

But like many of the Hesperiidae, let's keep a close watch for more of these interesting specimens to turn up. Who knows that it may also be something new for Singapore as we have more evidence and information later. :)

richardlbong
05-Feb-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks SK. M first impression when it first landed, Snow flat like was a common Snow Flat. When I raise the camera to shoot, it half folded its wings and I notice the large yellowish spots, I thought it to be a Fulvous Pied Flat until I noticed the slight orangey border at the tail end of the wings.
Richard

Sky Blue
05-Feb-2007, 10:46 PM
search thru my China's book collection, this is my suggestion: Ctenoptilum spp :thinking:

Commander
05-Feb-2007, 11:42 PM
Wah.... China import! :what:

richardlbong
06-Feb-2007, 09:02 AM
Thank you SC for the effort. I'll try to get a better shot of this Snowflat to make IDing easier.
Richard