PDA

View Full Version : ID please

Elizabeth
06-Jan-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm still trying to find my way around this website. Gan came and took pictures of this hawk moth caterpillar that I had. It's got such pretty eye spot. It is now sleeping in its cocoon. Please id this, anyone.
-Elizabeth

Sky Blue
07-Jan-2007, 11:19 PM
hi, welcome. Not sure whether anyone can ID but do keep us posted when the moth hatch : )

Elizabeth
08-Jan-2007, 02:53 PM
Thks Soon Chye. I hope I can get a pic of the moth when it emerged. I have to depend on friends as I am physically unable to do it myself.
-Elizabeth

hkmoths
14-Jan-2007, 02:02 PM
Probably a Theretra species (Sphingidae - hawkmoths)

Check out Tony Pittaway's site on this group at http://tpittaway.tripod.com/china/china.htm

cheers,

Roger.

Elizabeth
23-Jan-2007, 10:18 PM
I've spent days trying to upload the picture because the pop-up window is blocked.:mad2:

Right. Gan saved me from the worry of getting the picture by bringing the pupa home. :gbounce: :jumjoy: The moth emerged on 17th January. Rhynocholaba acteus.:redbounce

-Elizabeth

hkmoths
01-Feb-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi Elizabeth,

For Rhynocholaba read Pergesa (this is the current generic placement for acteus).

I should have spotted the host as Alocasia and thus given you the species identity from the larva, but let this one slip. Not to worry - well done for rearing it through.

cheers,

Roger.

Elizabeth
30-Mar-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks, Roger.
Here's something I find around the house from time to time. Do you know what moth this might be. Sorry I don't have a clearer pic.:embrass:
-Elizabeth

hkmoths
01-Apr-2007, 11:41 PM
This looks very like the cocoon of a tussock moth (family = Lymantriidae), probably one of the species in the genus Dasychira, the larvae of which will incorporate their own hairs into the cocoon to add protection - the hairs are urticating!

cheers,

Roger.