PDA

View Full Version : Some Common Butts from Central Catchment 31 Dec 06

Commander
01-Jan-2007, 02:14 AM
Took a long walk in the central catchment area to work off all the good food I had in Penang. ;P Was wondering how the rains over the past couple of weeks affected the butt population in the nature reserves.

It was quite a pleasant surprise to see the butt population doing ok, and there were even 4 Malay Lacewings feeding on their favourite Leea indica flowers. No LLs in sight though. A few of the puddlers were more cooperative than usual, and stopped long enough to pose for some unusual open winged shots (particularly the Blue Jay). Here are all the shots taken today, to wind up the last outing of 2006 year with some common forest butts. :)

The tracks were muddy and wet, and some of the usually dry trails were more like little streams.

Anyway, just to wrap up a good year of butterflying, and re-discovery and discovery of many new species in 2006. Here's looking forward to a more fruitful 2007 for butterflies in Singapore. :drinks:

Commander
01-Jan-2007, 02:16 AM
...and two shots of a particularly cooperative Rustic. :)

Common Mime
01-Jan-2007, 08:29 AM
Open wing shot of the Blue Jay is simple great!!!

Peacock Royal
01-Jan-2007, 08:43 AM
Good to see that butts are back at SF. Five Bar still missing in axtion ? I have not seen Five Bar for a long time.

Very very nice shots. The two Blue Jay shots are great.

Common Mime
01-Jan-2007, 11:14 AM
I think I like the Cruiser shot now.

The color with this composition is nice...

Commander
01-Jan-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks, CM and Federick. The Blue Jay was probably in need of some warmth, as it was still a rather cool day, despite the cloudy skies. Lucky encounter, as these buggers rarely show their uppersides.

No sign of the Five Bar Swordtail.