PDA

View Full Version : 28-Dec-06 TBHP

horace2264
28-Dec-2006, 10:27 PM
Managed to do a bit of butt hunting at TBHP before the afternoon rain.
Compared to the day before, there were more butt activities. At ground and eye levels, sighted cilate blue, slate flash, pale grass blue, burmese lascar, autumn leaf and common jay (got my record shot, pic 1). More activities occurred at tree top level at two tall flowering plants. Sighted at this level were autumn leaf, T. mantra mantra, copper flash, painted jazebel, blue nawab, some species of baron, king crow (pic 2, ID to be confirmed), two species of day time moth and one UFO (pic 3, could be a moth too).

Horace

Common Mime
28-Dec-2006, 10:46 PM
Common Jay is at TBHP!!!

Yes, It is a moth in pic 3.

Peacock Royal
28-Dec-2006, 11:37 PM
Wah, good catch of the Common Jay.

Cigaritis wong
28-Dec-2006, 11:53 PM
Good catch on the c.jay. I hv not seen 1 b4, or even if i did also cannot shoot it. My impression is that this type of butt is very restless and always flying. Looks like the rainy days make them easier to shoot. Let's hope 2moro got a period of dry window to shoot some butts :)

Commander
29-Dec-2006, 12:48 AM
Good record of the Common Jay on the main island of Singapore. Looks like it has finally breached the watery divide between Ubin and Singapore. Hope it will become as common as it is in certain parts of Malaysia (during its season, I've seen literally hundreds of them puddling along river sandbanks)

So at last, we will have to take a much closer look before we declare a fast-flying bluish Graphium as Blue Jay. That's cos both these species frequent similar environments, and indeed I have a shot from Endau Rompin showing them puddling together.

Simon, no need to drag your butt to Ubin to shoot the Common Jay now, since it's just in your neighbourhood. :bsmile:

The Crow still looks like a King Crow to me. :thinking:

horace2264
29-Dec-2006, 12:54 AM
Common Jay is at TBHP!!!

Yes, It is a moth in pic 3.

Thanks Chee Ming for the confirmation that it is a moth in pic 3.

Horace

horace2264
29-Dec-2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks Federick, Wong and Khew for your comments.

I was not aware that the common Jay is a new resident at TBHP, and that it was previously found in Ubin only. I was really lucky to run into this rather cooperative specimen which rested quite frequently after short swift flights in the bougainvillea bushes on the terrace. May be it was tired after the long flight from Ubin. :bsmile:

Khew,
This king crow's upperside shot lacks the tornal patch seen in the one I shot at ABHT. Could this be a female king crow?

Horace

Commander
29-Dec-2006, 10:41 AM
Khew,
This king crow's upperside shot lacks the tornal patch seen in the one I shot at ABHT. Could this be a female king crow?

Looks like it. The forewing termen margin appears to be straight in this individual that you shot.

horace2264
29-Dec-2006, 12:00 PM
Looks like it. The forewing termen margin appears to be straight in this individual that you shot.

Thanks. Will ID it as female King Crow in my record.

Horace

Elbowed Pierrot
29-Dec-2006, 03:01 PM
mabe a puddle of water with 'B'?

horace2264
29-Dec-2006, 06:51 PM

Just to provide more information, attached is a much better close-up of the King Crow's upperside taken today in much better weather, and the butterfly was staying low and keeping its wings open for fairly long period of time.

What puzzles me a bit is that I don't see any purplish sheen in any of the shots taken. Is there a possibility of an alternative ID?

Horace

Commander
30-Dec-2006, 12:39 AM
Not likely. The violet sheen seems to be more pronounced in the males than the females, and the sheen appears more strongly when seen in a side light. Females are also usually lighter in colour than the males.

But you could also work on some research and search all the Euploea spp. in this region and see if you could turn up something interesting. :)

horace2264
30-Dec-2006, 12:55 AM
Not likely. The violet sheen seems to be more pronounced in the males than the females, and the sheen appears more strongly when seen in a side light. Females are also usually lighter in colour than the males.

But you could also work on some research and search all the Euploea spp. in this region and see if you could turn up something interesting. :)

Your words are good enough for me as I recall you had bred King Crow and documented it at your geocities site.

Horace

atronox
18-Jun-2008, 03:29 PM
Sry for digging up an old thread. The moth is Psaphis euschemoides euschemoides.

horace2264
19-Jun-2008, 12:22 AM
Sry for digging up an old thread. The moth is Psaphis euschemoides euschemoides.
Thanks, Aaron for the moth ID.

atronox
19-Jun-2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks, Aaron for the moth ID.Ur welcome. I need confirmation that the ssp is correct.;P