PDA

View Full Version : new butterfly??

dude83
03-Aug-2004, 02:16 PM
guys...

i just came back from AH just now, very bright and sunny day... :bsmile:

lotsa butterflies there... i met Azone... (i hope i spelt your name correctly)... :bsmile:

sheesh... i may be an amateur... but i saw this butterfly in AH!!! Pachliopta aristolochiae antiphus... i'm really sorry i didn't get to take the pic of this butterfly, but just want to let u guys know, i've seen this over there and it may be nearby the vicinity area the next few days... if u guys wanna go and take a look, good luck... :cheers:

i don't think it's a common rose as it should have white marking at the hindwing but this one is totally black! and the body is red, similar to the ones i've seen in cameron highlands... it's a very slow flyer... but i can never get it to stop and take a short pose for me... somehow, i guess it was looking for plants to oviposite.... coz it was tapping it's legs from leaves to leaves... until it left for a while... sigh... i've no prove i saw it... i think azone happen to see it too... :cry:

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/chinfahshin/troidini/aristolo3.html

anyway, azone it's really nice meeting u there.. hope to see u again soon ;-)

Elbowed Pierrot
03-Aug-2004, 02:20 PM
should be the friendly common rose ;P wat time were u there? I was there from 8.45 till 10.30

dude83
03-Aug-2004, 02:41 PM
i was there at about 11 plus till 12 i guess...

heh, really common rose ah...a bit disappointing, coz i was hoping to be another species... did u see it too?

Elbowed Pierrot
03-Aug-2004, 03:12 PM
i was there at about 11 plus till 12 i guess...

heh, really common rose ah...a bit disappointing, coz i was hoping to be another species... did u see it too?

he is always there :bsmile: did you guys see the mating common birdwing?

Green Baron
03-Aug-2004, 06:11 PM
guys...

i just came back from AH just now, very bright and sunny day... :bsmile:

lotsa butterflies there... i met Azone... (i hope i spelt your name correctly)... :bsmile:

sheesh... i may be an amateur... but i saw this butterfly in AH!!! Pachliopta aristolochiae antiphus... i'm really sorry i didn't get to take the pic of this butterfly, but just want to let u guys know, i've seen this over there and it may be nearby the vicinity area the next few days... if u guys wanna go and take a look, good luck... :cheers:

i don't think it's a common rose as it should have white marking at the hindwing but this one is totally black! and the body is red, similar to the ones i've seen in cameron highlands... it's a very slow flyer... but i can never get it to stop and take a short pose for me... somehow, i guess it was looking for plants to oviposite.... coz it was tapping it's legs from leaves to leaves... until it left for a while... sigh... i've no prove i saw it... i think azone happen to see it too... :cry:

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/chinfahshin/troidini/aristolo3.html

Clayton,
I have seen this 'Common Rose' a few times at BTNR and we suspect it could be just a different form. However, we will only know if we have a photo of a mating pair or if we breed it from egg and see if the offspring has white spots.

Guys,
Let's see who is the first one to capture this specimen on photo !

Elbowed Pierrot
03-Aug-2004, 06:14 PM
Clayton,
I have seen this 'Common Rose' a few times at BTNR and we suspect it could be just a different form. However, we will only know if we have a photo of a mating pair or if we breed it from egg and see if the offspring has white spots.

Guys,
Let's see who is the first one to capture this specimen on photo !

that one is a tough one to catch

dude83
03-Aug-2004, 08:05 PM
yeah.
i agree it's hard to capture it on camera... although it seem that it's leisurely in flight, it gets startled easily by small movements...

haha, actually i believe it's a different form of the common rose too... but i've yet to see it around in singapore...and i was pretty excited deep down though... sigh, i'm no photographer, so i guess i can't contribute much.... just hope u guy keep a big lookout for this rare butterfly though... worth a catch... wonder what does it feed on, coz it sorta tapped onto the A.tagala but it flew off and did not oviposite...

also,i've noticed caterpillars and pupas being "kidnapped" by people... sigh... coz i've realied some of the birdwing pupas were detached from their silken pads and girdles torn... oh well... no sign of caterpillars of the common roses and birdwings for today, wonder where have they gone...

manage to see a tailed jay caterpillar looking for a pupating site... pretty nice...

Elbowed Pierrot
03-Aug-2004, 08:09 PM
yeah.
i agree it's hard to capture it on camera... although it seem that it's leisurely in flight, it gets startled easily by small movements...

haha, actually i believe it's a different form of the common rose too... but i've yet to see it around in singapore...and i was pretty excited deep down though... sigh, i'm no photographer, so i guess i can't contribute much.... just hope u guy keep a big lookout for this rare butterfly though... worth a catch... wonder what does it feed on, coz it sorta tapped onto the A.tagala but it flew off and did not oviposite...

also,i've noticed caterpillars and pupas being "kidnapped" by people... sigh... coz i've realied some of the birdwing pupas were detached from their silken pads and girdles torn... oh well... no sign of caterpillars of the common roses and birdwings for today, wonder where have they gone...

manage to see a tailed jay caterpillar looking for a pupating site... pretty nice...

kidnapped? you should approach these people and ask who they are, perhaps, they are working for the AH and collecting this pupas and cats to rear?

dude83
03-Aug-2004, 08:13 PM
oh..
really??
i didn't know they do catch in the caterpillars to rear... hmm..
it would be interesting to see them though... ;-) ;P

i have yet to see them collecting the pupas and cats... coz i thought they were left where they were to survive and let nature takes it's course... pardon for my ignorance... :confused:

azone
04-Aug-2004, 11:30 AM
Hello, nice meeting you too, dude83. And thanks for sharing with me your knowledge on butterflies. :-)

And yes, I think the AH staff do collect the pupas and will release them once they turned into butterflies.

Green Baron
04-Aug-2004, 04:03 PM
kidnapped? you should approach these people and ask who they are, perhaps, they are working for the AH and collecting this pupas and cats to rear?
If they are AH staff, they will be wearing a blue AH badge showing their name, and as far as I know only Rosalind and Wee Lee (Rosalind's hubby) are the only AH staff picking cats from the trail.

Commander
04-Aug-2004, 05:45 PM
If they are AH staff, they will be wearing a blue AH badge showing their name, and as far as I know only Rosalind and Wee Lee (Rosalind's hubby) are the only AH staff picking cats from the trail.

Last time we were there, the Indian gardeners were picking the cats. I suppose Ros has asked them to do so.