PDA

View Full Version : 25-Nov-06 WWW

horace2264
25-Nov-2006, 06:18 PM
Went to WWW site again for better shot of pointed cilate blue, but got a better shot of Tawny palmfly instead. Later met Richard and Wang Peck at the LL site, and went exploring further in together. Managed to obtain a +2 with black-vein tiger and mottled emigrant (thanks to Richard and Wang Peck for spotting and IDing the butts). The biggest surprise to us all was the appearance of a silverstreak (not our Sunny) at one location, enjoying itself on a flower.

Horace

Commander
25-Nov-2006, 06:22 PM
Your shots are improving steadily, Horace. :cheers:

That's a Black Vein Tiger, not a Dark Vein. :)

horace2264
25-Nov-2006, 06:27 PM
Oops, I just corrected myself before I saw your post.
Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

Horace

Cruiser
25-Nov-2006, 07:38 PM
Like the composition of the BVT but pity the wings were so tattered. Don't think we can do anything to prevent the white flowers from over exposed right :thinking:

horace2264
25-Nov-2006, 08:47 PM
Like the composition of the BVT but pity the wings were so tattered. Don't think we can do anything to prevent the white flowers from over exposed right :thinking:

Thanks Ben Jin. Today almost the butts I shot have some damages to their wings, must be the result of the severe thunderstorms over the site for the past few days. To me the white flowers in the shots are what they look like in the field, it could be my poor eyesight not being able to discern the details.

Horace

richardlbong
25-Nov-2006, 08:51 PM
Don't think they look over on my monitor. There are still some details on those flowers.
Richard

Peacock Royal
25-Nov-2006, 11:49 PM
Like the shot on the Silverstreak most. However, the white flowers of Bidens pilosa look a tad over.

Silverstreak
25-Nov-2006, 11:58 PM
The Bidens pilosa is an exposure nitemare....

You have to decide which you want properly expose.... the flower or the butt!!:sweat:

horace2264
26-Nov-2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks Federick.
Yes, it is always a problem when there are white patches in the scene.

Sunny, aren't you a bit surprised about the presence of silverstreak in that area?
We were not able to locate any ficus plant in the area. Just wonder whether there are alternative food plants for the silverstreak.

Horace

horace2264
26-Nov-2006, 12:53 AM
I tried the postprocessing job again on the silverstreak pic but now with specific attention paid to the white flower pedals.

Horace

Cruiser
26-Nov-2006, 01:01 AM
Job well done and I can now see lot of details on the flower petals. can you share with us the PS work-flow :cheers:

horace2264
26-Nov-2006, 01:13 AM
What I did was to move the sliders for various settings like brightness, contrast, shadow and exposure (Adobe raw processing in CS2) until I could see details on the flowers emerging. This was followed by a bit of USM before doing the save-for-web part.

Horace

Silverstreak
26-Nov-2006, 01:14 AM
Thanks Federick.
Yes, it is always a problem when there are white patches in the scene.

Sunny, aren't you a bit surprised about the presence of silverstreak in that area?
We were not able to locate any ficus plant in the area. Just wonder whether there are alternative food plants for the silverstreak.

Horace

Horace ,

There are Ficus microcarpa(Golden) in the area , except that it is not the same trim hedges as seen in TBHP or KRP.

The Ficus microcarpa if let to grow without trimming can go to great height. I have seen some tall plants further in at T20 .

The tallest Ficus microcarpa I have seen so far is right at my backyard , it is close to 20 metres high and covering a wide area, the Silverstreaks are all on top.

:cheers:

horace2264
26-Nov-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks Sunny for the info on the wild ficus plant. I was not looking for such tall plants at that time.

Must learn to recognise it and locate it in that area to make hunting for silverstreak an easier job.

Horace