PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Red Data Book

Common Rose
22-Jul-2004, 10:30 PM
Borrowed the book today. The status of Common Birdwing and Common Rose are classified as endangered, whereas Mottled Emigrant is Vulnerable/Rare. I think we are very fortunate to be able to see these butts flying around at AH. Also Dark Blue Jungle Glory is classified as Endangered. I am really very lucky to have witnessed some in flight and managed to capture a shot of a female (http://macross.atspace.com/Morphinae/Thaumantis%20klugius%20lucipor.htm).

Yong San
24-Jul-2004, 10:41 AM
Hello Neo,
You have a nice collection of butterfly photo :cheers: .
Not counting AH, I think it is probably hard to find Common Birdwing, Common Rose and Mottled Emigrant in Singapore. I have not seemed any Dark Blue Jungle Glory even after going to Sime Forest many times. Do you know any specific area in Sime Forest or specific time to see such rare butterfly ?

My first butterfly book is the Common Butterflies of Singapore from BP.
Even stated as common, I still have not seemed any Cabbage White,Dark Blue Jungle Glory, Lesser Harlequin,Plain Lacewing and Sumatran Gem.
Do you happen to see them ? Are they rare ? There are probably some places
in Singapore that you known of that have higher chance to see them.

Lastly, nice shot of female Dark Blue Jungle Glory in your collection :-)

Best Regards, << Yong >>

Commander
24-Jul-2004, 10:47 AM
Even stated as common, I still have not seemed any Cabbage White,Dark Blue Jungle Glory, Lesser Harlequin,Plain Lacewing and Sumatran Gem.

Common? I don't think Steven Neo (the author of that BP book) meant it to be so. Just that the book title may suggest that these are "common" butterflies. They are definitely not common as far as our NParks surveys go.

Check out the Gardens Bulletin Book on the Biodiversity of the Central Catchment Surveys 97-99. Steven and I have a research paper in there which lists out the species and their status. Some of the data is outdated now, where we have discovered more things since the article was written. The book also covers surveys of various other taxonomic groups like birds, vertebrates, dragonflies, stick insects and so on. Quite a thick book, costing about $50, if I remember correctly. Available and the SBG Book shop.

Elbowed Pierrot
24-Jul-2004, 11:22 AM
Hello Neo,
Not counting AH, I think it is probably hard to find Common Birdwing, Common Rose and Mottled Emigrant in Singapore. I have not seemed any Dark Blue Jungle Glory even after going to Sime Forest many times. Do you know any specific area in Sime Forest or specific time to see such rare butterfly ?

Best Regards, << Yong >>

I know a place on the way to sime that might have some chances to find forest dwelling b'fly like the Dark Blue Jungle Glory :bsmile:

Common Rose
26-Jul-2004, 05:11 PM
Hello Neo,

Best Regards, << Yong >>
Thanks Yong, it's just a mediocre collection, compare to the masters here. :embrass: Just updated the collection today, with more than 40 out of the 70 species available now. Hope to get all the species that I have collected up by end of Aug. After that, I will try improve on it, by proving links, some id description, etc... Will be ongoing updating, until the day I get well...

As stated in Guide to Common Butts of Sg, DBJG "dwells in the dark forest undergrowth. ... ... favours localities in the vicinity of forest streams." The area where I found them fit the description.

As for Cabbage White, Lesser Harlequin, Plain Lacewing and Sumatran Gem, I have not encountered them yet. :-(

Commander
26-Jul-2004, 05:35 PM
As for Cabbage White, Lesser Harlequin, Plain Lacewing and Sumatran Gem, I have not encountered them yet. :-(

Cabbage White - location most often seen - Kallang Riverside Park. But after some construction work started there, the species almost disappeared. I had it for a while in the open field behind my backyard, but haven't seen it in recent years.

Plain Lacewing - location most often seen - Upper Seletar Reservoir Park. Later appeared at Nee Soon Pipeline and Chestnut Forest as well. Have not seen it in the past year though.

Lesser Harlequin - location most often seen - Chestnut Forest (Fisherman's Trail). I last saw one at Sime Forest along the boardwalk. Often encountered in deep forest shade.

Sumatran Gem - location most often seen - Nee Soon Pipeline. Along the trail from the Sime Forest Ranger Station towards the pipeline track is also a good place to look for it. As it flies fast and likes the shady areas, it is not easy to spot it.

Happy hunting!

Yong San
26-Jul-2004, 09:26 PM
Thank you Mr. Neo and Mr. Khew for the location info.

Common Rose
26-Jul-2004, 10:14 PM
Thank you Mr. Neo and Mr. Khew for the location info.
:embrass: Just call me Neo will do. I only hear 'Mr Neo' from students and parents. ;P

Elbowed Pierrot
26-Jul-2004, 11:15 PM
Neo got pressured by the title :bsmile:

airforce1
26-Jul-2004, 11:22 PM
Interesting feedback. At least now I know what I am looking for butt species. Feedback is usedful to me in resourcing new species or areas to be investigate. Now I have new goals to focus. Thanks evryone.