PDA

View Full Version : Id skipper

Common Rose
21-Jul-2004, 03:48 PM
:hmmm: The skippers are going to drive me crazy. :stupid: Please help me id these two, which I think were the same species. Chestnut Bob?

http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v148/macrossx/3501-4000/3812.jpg
http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v148/macrossx/3501-4000/3813.jpg

http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v148/macrossx/3501-4000/3736.jpg

Commander
21-Jul-2004, 03:55 PM
Well, for one thing, these are definitely not Chestnut Bobs.

ID'ing of these skippers is a challenge, and if you have C&P4, there are some species which C&P4 states that "positive separation of the species can only be confirmed through genitalia dissection". Hence characteristics like wing spots and colours are unreliable in the ID.

With the advancement of DNA analysis, it's hoped that one day, we will be able to better ID the species more accurately without resorting to physical appearances and/or dissection.

Having said that, these shots appear to be closer to the Polytremis or Pelopidas species.

Common Rose
21-Jul-2004, 03:58 PM
These were shot at AH, first two on 2 Jul, and the 3rd on 30 Jun.

Commander
21-Jul-2004, 04:06 PM
Might not be Contiguous Swift ... the spots are relatively larger than the specimen. There are less spaces between the spots on the hindwing's underside.

For this species, the size of spots is unreliable as an identification characteristic due to the high degree of variation in specimens.

Cycad Blue
21-Jul-2004, 05:57 PM
you guys are amazing...they all look the same to me loh! If I were Neo, I won't even have asked if they were Chestnut Bobs...would have filed straight into the Chestnut Bob folder liow!

Looks like I better buy the C&P4 and hug it to sleep every night liow! :bsmileo:

Green Baron
21-Jul-2004, 06:33 PM
Chestnut Bob can be ID quite accurately but Mycalesis spp, the brown (Pelopidas, Polytremis) and orange colour (Ampittia,Telicota, Potanthus etc )skippers are very tough to ID. I usually just file them under Mycalesis spp, Brown skippers and Orange Skippers unless I am 100% sure ;-)

Elbowed Pierrot
21-Jul-2004, 06:37 PM
you guys are amazing...they all look the same to me loh! If I were Neo, I won't even have asked if they were Chestnut Bobs...would have filed straight into the Chestnut Bob folder liow!

Looks like I better buy the C&P4 and hug it to sleep every night liow! :bsmileo:

no, burn then drink it :thumbsup: :bsmile:

Commander
21-Jul-2004, 06:37 PM

No... you must buy C&P4, then burn it, mix the ashes in water and drink the ashes... :bsmile:

BTW, I have 2 copies of C&P4 - one in a torn and tattered condition. Can loan to 'deserving' parties...

Cycad Blue
21-Jul-2004, 07:18 PM
hahahha khew and simon think alike!!!! :bsmileo:
I borrowed C&P4 from the library liow, to browse thru before deciding whether to plonk $72 on a personal copy ;)

Commander
21-Jul-2004, 07:22 PM
hahahha khew and simon think alike!!!! :bsmileo:
I borrowed C&P4 from the library liow, to browse thru before deciding whether to plonk $72 on a personal copy ;)

That's what my granny used to advocate, before exams. Burn some yellow paper (something called a "fish" in Chinese), then drink the ashes. Yucks! But then again... maybe that worked, cos I passed all my exams! ;P

Common Rose
21-Jul-2004, 10:17 PM
No... you must buy C&P4, then burn it, mix the ashes in water and drink the ashes... :bsmile:

BTW, I have 2 copies of C&P4 - one in a torn and tattered condition. Can loan to 'deserving' parties...
:thinking: The tattered one, 'cause u burned some of pages and drink? :bsmileo:

Common Rose
21-Jul-2004, 10:21 PM
Can anyone possibly id this 'veteran'? Or will it end up as another UBF (unid butterfly)?

http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v148/macrossx/3001-3500/3383.jpg

http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v148/macrossx/3001-3500/3386.jpg

Commander
21-Jul-2004, 10:22 PM
:thinking: The tattered one, 'cause u burned some of pages and drink? :bsmileo:

:hammer: Chey... well-thumbed and used lah... until the whole book fell apart.

Commander
21-Jul-2004, 10:23 PM
Can anyone possibly id this 'veteran'? Or will it end up as another UBF (unid butterfly)?

That looks more like the Chestnut Bob.

Common Rose
21-Jul-2004, 10:30 PM
That looks more like the Chestnut Bob.
Actually for this one, I have already filed it as Chestnub Bob, cause of that white spot in the 2nd pic; but need to 'play safe'.

Common Rose
21-Jul-2004, 10:46 PM
:hammer: Chey... well-thumbed and used lah... until the whole book fell apart.
:hmmm: So u have not tried it... I thot u r a living example. :bsmileo:

Green Baron
21-Jul-2004, 11:09 PM
That looks more like the Chestnut Bob.Agree with Khew, Chestnut Bob

Sky Blue
22-Jul-2004, 10:10 AM
:hmmm: So u have not tried it... I thot u r a living example. :bsmileo:
i guess initially he got 3 books then become 2... after those drinking session :cheers:

Green Baron
22-Jul-2004, 11:24 AM
I think I will start a separate thread on how we classify and store our images.