PDA

View Full Version : What type of caterpillar is this?

DewaKarma
24-Feb-2006, 12:50 PM
Anyone knows what type of caterpillar is this?

Commander
24-Feb-2006, 12:54 PM
Any larger/closeup of it? :) Where was this shot, by the way?

DewaKarma
24-Feb-2006, 01:03 PM
i try a get a better close up soon..its in my school garden. sudenly this species appeared. as far as i noe..my sch garden is flooded with common grass yellow..i even managed to witness its metamorphosis in a jar but of course i release it after that.

DewaKarma
24-Feb-2006, 01:13 PM
btw..its host plant was the leaves of a peacock flower..

Commander
24-Feb-2006, 01:26 PM
Hmm... interesting. A close up shot would help.

The Grass Yellows' cats also feed on the leaves of the Peacock Flower - Caesalpinia pulcherrima (http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/aridplants/Caesalpinia_pulcherrima.html)and related species.

Common Mime
24-Feb-2006, 02:15 PM
Confirm this is not the caterpillar of Grass Yellow.

Peacock flower? How come the leaves on the photos looks like those Spider Lily...

DewaKarma
24-Feb-2006, 02:34 PM
ahaks...cant be my HOD for science labelled the plant wrongly rite? hehehhe...but supposedly its wrongly labeled...what other possiblitity of caterpillars are these? by looking at the caterpillar species online..so far none fits any of them...and i saw only two of these...might catch them later n keep it in a jar again..n take pics so u all can see them

Common Mime
24-Feb-2006, 02:47 PM
Ya please.

For the leaves of the peacock flower, they normally grow in pairs like what you can see from Khew's (Commander) link.

DewaKarma
25-Feb-2006, 11:45 AM
as promised..this is the pic...close up ..oh...sorry on the host plant..its spider lily..hehhee...somebody muz have accidentally swapped the labels..ehheh..so anyone noes abt this caterpillar..tried looking for it online n links from here..so far ..cant find..

Commander
25-Feb-2006, 04:39 PM
Looks like a moth caterpillar. I've afraid we don't have any moth experts around.

hkmoths
26-Apr-2006, 10:55 PM
Some species of Noctuidae, probably in the subfamily Noctuinae or Hadeninae. At a longshot, I'd guess at something like a Spodoptera sp. Not really confident of this though.

cheers,

Roger.

Blue Nawab
20-May-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi, Tracing back to some of the posts earlier, saw the ssame caterpillar and waited for the moth to emerge. This is the Moth of the caterpillar asked....it feeds on vegetables..will post the ID once I found it..
Regards,
Cher Hern

hkmoths
20-May-2008, 02:24 PM
Spodoptera litura

Noctuidae, Xyleninae (the higher taxonomy has changed since the last post!)

cheers, Roger.