PDA

View Full Version : AH Butterfly Trail featured in New Paper!

Birdwing
13-Jul-2004, 02:38 PM
Hey guys,

Check out today's New Paper (13th July 2004), there's a full page article on the AH Butterfly Trail on page 13 (or issit 12, can't remember). Got the copy of New Paper from a colleague and was scanning thru it when I saw the article, wow, now the Trail definitely gonna attract more people! :bsmileo:

In it there are interviews with our Mr. Gan (a.k.a Green Baron) from BIG, and also Rosalind from AH. Briefly the article talks about how the Trail came about, and gives an overview on the no. of species found so far (74...the 74th is the 3-spot chocalate grass yellow..was it Neo who discover it? ;-) ) and also talks briefly about the butts and types of host plants to be found there.

Incidentally, the butterfly talk at AH last month was also mentioned, but the paper didn't mention buttpals forum tho, instead it was ClubSNAP which was credited for holding the talk instead. :hmmm:

So grab a copy of the New Paper if you can! ;-)

y0ngcheng
13-Jul-2004, 03:13 PM
was quite surprised that it mention about clubsnap instead mr khew or this butt pals forum.

*garion: i tot i'm the 1st to post this, but u faster den me 30mins :hammer: :bsmileo:

Common Mime
13-Jul-2004, 04:21 PM
was quite surprised that it mention about clubsnap instead mr khew or this butt pals forum.

*garion: i tot i'm the 1st to post this, but u faster den me 30mins :hammer: :bsmileo:

Hahaha yong cheng, kiasuism!!!

yongcheng ==> :hammer: <== sumball

Commander
13-Jul-2004, 04:38 PM

It's ok. I did make the announcements in ClubSnap, and also organised the talk from there. During that time, B-Pals was not officially launched yet. Let them claim the credit. I've no problems with that. If any media approaches CS, they will have to come back to us anyway. ;-)

Common Mime
13-Jul-2004, 05:31 PM
It's ok. I did make the announcements in ClubSnap, and also organised the talk from there. During that time, B-Pals was not officially launched yet. Let them claim the credit. I've no problems with that. If any media approaches CS, they will have to come back to us anyway. ;-)

Mr Khew :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope to learn more from you about butterfly (still wondering what does this insect got to do with the the flying butter :hmmm: , anyway ideas).

So far, I know xxx tiger, common roses, yellow (limited knowledge but will try my best to ID them) :bsmile: :embrass:

Thanks!

Cycad Blue
13-Jul-2004, 09:12 PM
Tried to buy the papers but sold out liow :mad2:
will catch the online version tomorrow ;-)

Common Rose
13-Jul-2004, 09:19 PM
Me home from work, makan dinner, on computer, go to B-Pals, saw news, off computer, went downstair. Luckily still got the newpapers, 'The New Paper' and 'Shin Min Daily News'. AH was in both papers. ;-)

Common Rose
13-Jul-2004, 09:24 PM
In it there are interviews with our Mr. Gan (a.k.a Green Baron) from BIG, and also Rosalind from AH. Briefly the article talks about how the Trail came about, and gives an overview on the no. of species found so far (74...the 74th is the 3-spot chocalate grass yellow..was it Neo who discover it? ;-) ) and also talks briefly about the butts and types of host plants to be found there.
That's Three-Spot Grass Yellow. Yup, 'discovered' and photo by me (see here (http://www.butterflypals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254)). ;-) Was leaving the trail that day, when I spotted this yellow on a flower, and snapped two shots. Thot it was Common Grass Yellow when shooting. Got a surprise when I viewed it on the computer that it got 3 spots! :what:

Common Mime
13-Jul-2004, 09:27 PM
Tried to buy the papers but sold out liow :mad2:
will catch the online version tomorrow ;-)

hehehe I got mine! :bsmile:

Cycad Blue
13-Jul-2004, 11:35 PM
*kok your head* :hammer: rubbing salt to my wound izzit? kekekke....
hubby managed to borrow a copy from his friend liow, can read tomorrow ;)

Elbowed Pierrot
13-Jul-2004, 11:48 PM
I didnt get a copy.... :-(

but my mom did :cheers:

Sister Sophie
13-Jul-2004, 11:54 PM
I did not get an issue of Today's New Paper, but if anyone wants to send me a copy of the article, that will be very nice.

Thanking you, Sister Sophie
Miami, Florida

Cruiser
14-Jul-2004, 12:37 AM
Me home from work, makan dinner, on computer, go to B-Pals, saw news, off computer, went downstair. Luckily still got the newpapers, 'The New Paper' and 'Shin Min Daily News'. AH was in both papers. ;-)

Can you scan both articles and publish here - thanks! hope there is not copy right issue :thinking:

Common Rose
14-Jul-2004, 11:09 AM
Can you scan both articles and publish here - thanks! hope there is not copy right issue :thinking:
Don't have scanner. Maybe I'll take some photo shots.

Green Baron
14-Jul-2004, 11:13 AM
I have a B&W scanner. Will scan it today.

Sister Sophie
15-Jul-2004, 01:12 AM
I hope that you do, do it, and then I can read it. We do not get those particular Editions here.

Sister Sophie
Miami, Florida, USA

Rustic
15-Jul-2004, 02:54 PM
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly/0,4139,67792,00.html?

The New Paper - 14 Jul 2004

Alexandra Hospital, home to 74 species of butterflies

Butterfly Trail set up as healing environment for patients, but is open to public for free

By Mohamed Faliq

MR Gan Theong Wei, 41, visits the hospital at least twice a month. But he's not there to see the doctors.

He goes to Alexandra Hospital to visit the Butterfly Trail, which boasts the largest population of butterflies in Singapore including 74 different species.

Apparently, the 74th species - the Three-spot Grass Yellow butterfly - was spotted on the trail only two Sundays ago though a website about Singapore butterflies says it's found in nature reserves. The idea of the Butterfly Trail came from Mrs Rosalind Tan, 63, who was the hospital's chief occupational therapist for 20 years.

'A touch of greenery helps to improve any place,' said Mrs Tan, who vacated the post 1 1/2 years ago and is now on the staff of the operations department.

ISLAND OF SERENITY

She initiated the trail to create a healing environment by distracting the patients from their illnesses.

The Butterfly Trail is certainly an island of serenity.

The beautiful fluttering of butterflies among fragrant flowering plants, and the twittering of birds, chirping of crickets and bubbling of water, all contribute to a soothing environment.

The butterflies are free to come and go as they please in the open trail.

The plants in the trail are grown specifically to attract butterflies.

Many of these plants are relatively common, such as fruit trees like mango, pomelo, palm and rambutan. Even the humble lalang and the mimosa attract some species of butterflies.

Why then aren't there scores of butterflies fluttering among the numerous fruit trees elsewhere in Singapore?

Well, it isn't easy to attract butterflies.

Butterflies like a bit of shade as well as secluded areas.

Another reason why butterflies flock to Alexandra Hospital: The hospital grounds are surrounded by large parks, such as Telok Blangah Park, West Coast Park, and Kent Ridge Park.

The butterflies from these parks home in on the trail.

And the public has also taken to this trail. Butterfly enthusiasts visit the trail regularly.

Admission is free. The best time to go butterfly-spotting? Between 7am and 7pm, said Mrs Tan,

'I think it's definitely very good as it allows the public to view butterflies that usually can't be seen in public parks,' said Mr Gan, a member of the Butterfly Interest Group of the Singapore Nature Society.

These enthusiasts have contributed plant seeds and larvae and are very happy with the hospital's efforts in preserving the remaining species of butterflies in Singapore.

There used to be 380 species of butterflies in Singapore, but now, the number has dwindled to around 250.

The Butterfly Trail also attracts photographers, who now have better opportunities to photograph these flitting beauties without going deep into the forests.

Members of Club SNAP, a photography society, had a presentation at the Butterfly Trail in June, and their website has attracted even overseas enthusiasts.

The Butterfly Trail, opened 1 1/2 years ago, took around two years to create, and was part of the revamping of Alexandra Hospital.

With 20ha of land, the CEO of Alexandra Hospital, Mr Liak Teng Lit, recognised the potential of the hospital and its grounds.

And the 200m-long trail was cost-effective, thanks to staff involvement in the project.

Without professional landscapers, and with only three gardeners, the trail depends on different departments adopting different parts of the gardens and maintaining them.

A monthly gardening day is organised, where all the staff pitch in to help, from the top management down to the cleaners.

Mrs Tan is justifiably proud of the Butterfly Trail that she had a hand in creating.

'I consider it a healthy interest to be able to contribute to the community with the little knowledge I have,' she said.

Copyright &copy; 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.

airforce1
15-Jul-2004, 03:11 PM
Interesting the end product is recognised. Congratulations to the curator of the butterfly garden. (forget her name ) More exposure , soon there will be eco-tourism and we can save the Garden.