PDA

View Full Version : About the Prawn Paste and also the Monarchs

Sister Sophie
04-Jul-2004, 03:53 AM
Thank you very much to Viscount and to Simon about the Prawn Paste. Well, we do not have a China town here in Miami unfortunately. But maybe some day I will go on a trip to visit one, like San Francisco.

I got into this Club because I was invited by:

"Gan Cheong Weei" <gancw@pacific.net.sg>

At migration time, almost ALL of the Monarchs go in huge numbers to Pacific Grove, California, or to a special place in the Mountains in Mexico (during our Northern Hemisphere Winter which is November, December, January etc.). I have never visited either place, but I have read about them and I have some Postcard Pictures of the Monarchs resting there. The pictures show the Monarchs in the thousands, like a big beautiful carpet hanging from a tree.

In our summer-time, the Monarchs return to the far Northern USA and Canada. Actually, it is their off-spring who do the returning to the north. The Butterflies do not live long enough to make the full round trip. I read a lot Butterfly Books and also a lot on the Internet. That is why I keep giving you members so many URL's about Butterflies.

Here in Miami, I have only seen an occasional Monarch, but I suppose there are quite a few more somewhere in Florida-- not exactly in my area.

I have visited some Butterfly Farms; one was in France and one was in Palawan, Philippines. When I went to Palawan, I stayed a whole week and the Birdwings were flying all over everywhere right out in the open. That was one of the best weeks in my whole life. I hope to go on a week vacation to Costa Rica soon, maybe in September. They have a big Butterfly Farm there in the Alajuela area.

I collect Butterfly Postcards and Butterfly Stamps. I also collect the real Butterflies, but only in my dreams. The ones that I actually do have are dead and in frames hanging on the walls in my house, but I did not catch them myself.

Sister Sophie
Miami, Florida, USA

Viscount
04-Jul-2004, 03:51 PM
I do hope you make it to Costa Rica. There are lots of beautiful flora and fauna there and lots of exotic looking butterflies too.
Don't forget to post them here for us to see.

Elbowed Pierrot
04-Jul-2004, 04:36 PM
Just a side note on how to prepare the prawn paste aka Belacan

1) cut a few slices
2) warm your pan over low fire and dry fry the Belacan
3) once the moisture is removed, you will be able to break them into small bits
4) continue to fry over low fire till you get a powdery form and you are all set