PDA

View Full Version : ways to attract butterflies

Elbowed Pierrot
02-Jul-2004, 10:44 AM
I have read that rotten fruit attracts them, some even use prawn paste.. so in your opinon which is the best way? and the best time for it?

Viscount
03-Jul-2004, 01:09 AM
I had tried pineapple fermented in beer.
The results were lots of drunk Archdukes
and common fauns. :bsmileo:

Elbowed Pierrot
03-Jul-2004, 03:00 AM
thks viscount :bsmile:

any more brillant ideas? I wanna know how effective prawn paste is :bsmileo:

Commander
05-Jul-2004, 05:00 PM
thks viscount :bsmile:

any more brillant ideas? I wanna know how effective prawn paste is :bsmileo:

I presume you've already witnessed the effectiveness of prawn paste on your last outing. Different species go for different baits, so you'll observe and learn which is best for which species and areas.

Where you place the baits is also important. E.g. if you place the rotting pineapple in the middle of a hot dusty trail, you are not likely to have much "business". Same if you place prawn paste in a dark, wet and shady forest undergrowth.

Elbowed Pierrot
05-Jul-2004, 05:20 PM
I presume you've already witnessed the effectiveness of prawn paste on your last outing. Different species go for different baits, so you'll observe and learn which is best for which species and areas.

Where you place the baits is also important. E.g. if you place the rotting pineapple in the middle of a hot dusty trail, you are not likely to have much "business". Same if you place prawn paste in a dark, wet and shady forest undergrowth.

yeah, I know a good place for belacan baiting What are the other baits we can use? smelly prawns? durian? (with that, expat will avoid us as well) :bsmileo:

Commander
05-Jul-2004, 05:47 PM
yeah, I know a good place for belacan baiting What are the other baits we can use? smelly prawns? durian? (with that, expat will avoid us as well) :bsmileo:

Some examples :

Prawn shells - BBQ'ed or raw.
Rotting fruits (besides pineapples) - papaya, banana, figs, chiku, watermelon, and a host of other "sweet-smelling" fermenting fruits.
Carrion - dead carcasses of frogs, snakes, etc (smelly!)
Urine and animal/human excreta (yucks!)
Fermenting alcohol - e.g. beer and/or mixed with rotting fruit

Strangely, I've never seen any butts on durians - rotting or otherwise. :hmmm:

Elbowed Pierrot
05-Jul-2004, 10:52 PM
Some examples :

Prawn shells - BBQ'ed or raw.
Rotting fruits (besides pineapples) - papaya, banana, figs, chiku, watermelon, and a host of other "sweet-smelling" fermenting fruits.
Carrion - dead carcasses of frogs, snakes, etc (smelly!)
Urine and animal/human excreta (yucks!)
Fermenting alcohol - e.g. beer and/or mixed with rotting fruit

Strangely, I've never seen any butts on durians - rotting or otherwise. :hmmm:

which bait have you tried before or any of u?