PDA

View Full Version : Which B'fly Book for reference?

Elbowed Pierrot
29-Jun-2004, 02:40 PM
Thinking of getting a comprehensive reference book on Malaysia and Singapore b'fly, any recommendation?

TIA

Common Rose
29-Jun-2004, 03:10 PM
[C&P4] The Butterflies of The Malay Peninsula (4th Ed), Corbet and Pendlebury, 1992, The Malayan Nature Society.

Elbowed Pierrot
29-Jun-2004, 03:30 PM
[C&P4] The Butterflies of The Malay Peninsula (4th Ed), Corbet and Pendlebury, 1992, The Malayan Nature Society.

thanks, where can I find the book in? kino? borders?

Commander
29-Jun-2004, 04:15 PM
thanks, where can I find the book in? kino? borders?

You can order it from the Botanic Gardens Bookshop.

Elbowed Pierrot
29-Jun-2004, 04:33 PM
You can order it from the Botanic Gardens Bookshop.

thank khew

Commander
29-Jun-2004, 04:45 PM
Here's the contact for Nature's Niche (http://www.naturesnichebooks.com/) (Botanic Gardens Bookshop). You can call them up to see if they have the book in stock. Only $71.90. Quite cheap, considering the amount of information and colour plates in the book.

Details of the book - Butterflies of the Malay Peninsula 4th Edition, can be found here (http://www.naturesnichebooks.com/html/other-animals_entomology.htm).

Elbowed Pierrot
29-Jun-2004, 05:47 PM
thks ppl, you are such a great help :thumbsup:

Cruiser
29-Jun-2004, 07:19 PM
Also available for loan on some of the libraries such as Toa Payoh lib.

FYI

Common Rose
29-Jun-2004, 09:05 PM
Also available for loan on some of the libraries such as Toa Payoh lib.

FYI
Currently, that's with me! ;-) I think this is the only copy available for borrowing. There are copies in other libraries, but are in the reference section. :-(

Elbowed Pierrot
29-Jun-2004, 10:46 PM
Currently, that's with me! ;-) I think this is the only copy available for borrowing. There are copies in other libraries, but are in the reference section. :-(

ya, the only one in circulation :hammer:

Common Rose
29-Jun-2004, 11:06 PM
ya, the only one in circulation :hammer:
Ouch! :cry:

Elbowed Pierrot
29-Jun-2004, 11:09 PM

Neo

when u returning? ;P

Commander
29-Jun-2004, 11:09 PM

Are you gonna hog it for a long time? :bsmile:

Green Baron
30-Jun-2004, 12:06 AM
Neo

when u returning? ;PJust reserve it and you will be able to keep it for 3 weeks !

Commander
30-Jun-2004, 12:13 AM
There is another book that can also be used as a reference. Most of us serious butt enthusiasts have it too. However, it's basically photos with a bit of descriptions only. C&P4 is still definitely THE reference book to get.

The other book is Butterflies of West Malaysia and Singapore by WA Fleming.

Viscount
30-Jun-2004, 12:23 AM
This is oso a good book but not as thorough as C&P4.
It is not as technical too.

Malaysian Butterflies;
An Introduction
by H.S. Yong
This book gives an illustrated account of the butterfly fauna of both West and East Malaysia, 270 brilliant colour photographs, all produced by the author, show the most conspicuous of the over 1,000 species found in the country. The introduction covers the life history of butterflies and how to watch them. An attractive and useful introduction that any asian nature enthusiast will enjoy.
Price : Singapore $ 40.38

Green Baron
30-Jun-2004, 12:31 AM
All the references are listed here -> http://www.nss.org.sg/butterflysingapore/home/books.htmIf your have an acute butt flu and have spare cash ;-) you might want to consider the 2 volumes by Igarashi and Fukuda. The life history photos are 1st class ! :thumbsup: but cost S$1500 !

Elbowed Pierrot
30-Jun-2004, 09:16 AM
All the references are listed here -> http://www.nss.org.sg/butterflysingapore/home/books.htmIf your have an acute butt flu and have spare cash ;-) you might want to consider the 2 volumes by Igarashi and Fukuda. The life history photos are 1st class ! :thumbsup: but cost S$1500 !

nah, if I got that money, I will have upgraded to a 10d :blah:

Common Rose
30-Jun-2004, 11:05 AM
Neo

when u returning? ;P
The due date is 15 Jul, so probably 2 weeks later.

The book is heavier than my cam. :sweat:

Elbowed Pierrot
30-Jun-2004, 08:10 PM
saw the book at SBG today, very tempted to buy, but too heavy to carry around while shooting :bsmile:

But I bought "A guide to common b'fly in SG" so I can refer on a go..