PDA

View Full Version : ID this big fellow

Peacock Royal
24-Jun-2004, 04:04 PM
Spotted by my 10-year old daughter while we were walking along a passageway at my block this morning. Luckily with my Z1 digicam in my bag, enough time for me to snap two shots before it flew off.

Help needed as I am not sharp enough to find a match with this fellow.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v297/Federick/Toa%20Payoh%20Town%20Park/unknown2.jpg

The Monarch
24-Jun-2004, 04:13 PM
Looks like a Amathusia phidippus phidippus, Palm King, to me.

Haven't seen this guy before, nice catch. Maybe try to change angle and get the green grass and flowers as the entire background next time.

Elbowed Pierrot
24-Jun-2004, 05:43 PM
Wow, great catch

Peacock Royal
24-Jun-2004, 07:24 PM
Have the time now to check Mr Khew's website and I think it looks like Palm King but this one is much bigger.

Maybe try to change angle and get the green grass and flowers as the entire background next time.

Ya, no experience ma! and also very eager to shoot it. No time to think so much. When I wanted to change angle this guy flew off liao ! Hope to see it again.

Green Baron
24-Jun-2004, 10:43 PM
This is the Palm King, a rather rare butterfly and one of the largest and most beautiful 'Palm' butterflies. They feed on coconut leaves and used to be very common in Kampong days. They are attracted by light and can sometimes be found fluttering in HDB housing estate in the evening/night. There were 2 occassions when this fella flew into my house at night !