PDA

View Full Version : [20031219] bisexual butterfly?

Rustic
05-May-2005, 11:20 AM
was surfing, and came across this article. fact ?

http://learning.sohu.com/zt/freshenglish/12-19/yiwendec19.htm

The world's first bisexual butterfly to be bred in captivity has been cultivated at a Singapore nature park, newspaper The Straits Times reports.

A Papilio Memnon with both female and male parts was discovered on Monday local time, at the Butterfly Park on Sentosa Island, the daily reported senior curator Ithnine Atan as saying.

Mr Atan said such occurrences are very rare in the wild and had never been recorded in captivity.

The butterfly's female parts are distinguished by red and white patches on its wing, broader wings, a longer antennae and a bigger abdomen to hold eggs.

Common Mime
05-May-2005, 11:50 AM
Interesting. No pic?

Commander
05-May-2005, 12:35 PM
I know that article. It's rubbish actually, cos the gynandromorph (that's the scientific term for a butt having both male and female wings) was bred and photographed at the Penang Butterfly Farm some time in the mid 90's. If you go to PBF, there is a newspaper article showing a gynandromorph Archduke! Very interesting, when you know what the male and female Archduke looks like. Half male, half female.

Therefore, Sentosa's claim that they have got the first such occurrence in captivity is not too accurate.

Rustic
05-May-2005, 01:28 PM
I know that article. It's rubbish actually, cos the gynandromorph (that's the scientific term for a butt having both male and female wings) was bred and photographed at the Penang Butterfly Farm some time in the mid 90's. If you go to PBF, there is a newspaper article showing a gynandromorph Archduke! Very interesting, when you know what the male and female Archduke looks like. Half male, half female.

Therefore, Sentosa's claim that they have got the first such occurrence in captivity is not too accurate.

oh, it is just the wing.
I thought that the butterfly has both gentials. :P

how do they actually bred? I suppose it is just a mutation, right?

Rustic
05-May-2005, 01:29 PM
Interesting. No pic?

follow the URL, u will find the picture.

Commander
05-May-2005, 01:31 PM
oh, it is just the wing.
I thought that the butterfly has both gentials. :P

how do they actually bred? I suppose it is just a mutation, right?
Yah... a freak occurrence of nature, and is something well documented in good butterfly books. The press cutting and the specimen of the Archduke gynandromorph is on display at the PBF. Do look out for it the next time you visit the place.

Commander
05-May-2005, 01:35 PM
follow the URL, u will find the picture.Got meh? When I followed the URL, it showed a picture of a butterfly which looks like the Bhutan Glory (Bhutanitis lidderdalei), dead and pinned to a twig. :angry:

That's no Great Mormon. ;P

Green Baron
05-May-2005, 02:34 PM
Got meh? When I followed the URL, it showed a picture of a butterfly which looks like the Bhutan Glory (Bhutanitis lidderdalei), dead and pinned to a twig. :angry:

That's no Great Mormon. ;P
Ya, wrong photo lah ! :prrr: Got their facts and photo wrong